Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 Galant ES 171k miles with a few problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 11:30 AM
Unhappy 2004 Galant ES 171k miles with a few problems

Hello and thank you,

So on Monday, October 8, 2012 I purchased a used Mitsubishi Galant ES. The body paint is in rough shape but at first glance the engine appeared to be in excellent condition. Mitsubishi was a brand that I trust so I figured it would be a great buy and with a few exceptions I am in love with my first Mitsubishi.

As I have said there are a few issues with the car (at least I think so), but it might be that I am just not used to how Mitsubishi cars work.

1. The idling of the car seems to be a bit low, it is around 500 rpms if I am not mistaken. When in drive or reverse (it is an automatic) the car does not usually idle forward or backwards even on flat terrain.
2. Went and picked up a friend whose neighborhood has a steep hill with several stop signs. This was my first time on a steep hill in the car and after coming to a stop at the first stop sign the car stalled out as I was trying to go from the brake to the gas and it rolled backwards a decent distance. After restarting I noticed that if I was quick it would not stall but it still will roll backwards.
3. Today on my way home from school I was waiting to take a left turn. I noticed the RPMs dropped and almost did not register on the tachometer and I thought I stalled but then the RPMs shot up again. This happened several times and a red light (not the check engine light) would come on but it would extinguish before I got a chance to see it but I think it might have been the battery light.

Any hints on what to do would be very much appreciated. This is my first car that I bought, my last one I inherited from my Grandpa when he passed away. But I love this car to death, it drives like a champ most of the time (the exceptions above being the only problem) and it hugs the road and is fun to drive on winding roads.

Thank you for your time,
Zach