Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

2004 Outlander - How do I remove the alternator?

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 PM
Default 2004 Outlander - How do I remove the alternator?

Good evening everyone.

This is my furst post, and I'm kind of at my wit's end here. I'm really hoping someone here can help me. My alternator on my 04 Outlander finally died last sunday. I had them order me a new one at O'reilly, and it didn't show up till today.

Im not much of a car guy, but I can usually figure this sort of thing out if I study it enough. So after a lot of headache figuring out how to get the serpentine belt off, and how to get at the mounting bolts on the thing, I FINALLY got it loose after about 3 hours of working at it.

Now my trouble is that there is not physically enough room to remove the old alternator from the engine compartment. So I now have a free-floating bad alternator, and no clue how I'm supposed to get it out and get the new one in.

Any suggestions on what engine components I could safely remove to free up space and get this thing swapped out would be GREATLY appreciated. Please keep in mind I'm not much of a car guy. I'm REALLY hoping that I don't need to remove anything that is used in moving liquids around, but at the end of it all, I'm going to have to do whatever it takes.

Thank you all in advance!