Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

97 spyder issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Default 97 spyder issues

my gf has a 97 spyder turbo. (i think it's a 2.0 or 2.2 liter). here's my (our) problem....few months ago the car started making a loud squealing noise when started up. sounded like a belt (sound went away when car warmed up). next about a month and a half ago it died twice. jump started fine....no more issues. then last weekend she said the motor started shaking and the car died on her way to work. then she got it started again....got to work and no start. jump start ok then drove to autozone. battery was dead. was corrosion on the batt terminals also. cleaned that off, got a new batt (old one tested bad). off she goes. then this morning no start again. no lights turn on, car doesn't turn over and alarm beeps (about the same frequency as the clicking you hear w/a dead batt). i have my theorys but i want to see what pops up on here first. i know how to fix bikes and jets.....cars i have a harder time troubleshooting due to lack of experience. if someone can help with what part needs changed then i can do it....just need some help figuring this riddle out. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-06-2006, 02:15 AM
Default RE: 97 spyder issues

I think is sounds like a bad alternator.probley not charging

Old 05-08-2006, 08:44 PM
Default RE: 97 spyder issues

mos def. sounds like an alternator. the squeaking and stuff may have been caused by a squeking belt like you said but prolly just a strange coincidence. If you can get the alternator off bring it in and autozone runs tests on the alternator too. but my guess is definately gonna be the alternator. One test you could do urself is start the car and take off the positive battery terminal, if the car continues to run then it is not your alternator, but if it dies, u do have an alternator problem. Best of luck,hope everything works out.