Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

AHHH WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 07:55 PM
Default AHHH WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?!?!

95 Eclipse, 2.0, GS, automatic--Hello, I have a problem with my vehicle and no one can figure out what is wrong! There is a problem with starting (does not maintain idle, have to keep accelerator pressed for a while), and get this, the only way to even get it to start anymore is to HIT THE ECU with a pair of pliers! Before it stopped running at highway driving speeds and the vehicle would buck (Check Engine Light flickers on/off when this happens but does not remain on, therefore computer diagnostic has been unable to pickup code, vehicle started back up when it stalled by the way). I took this car to get a diagnostic and they told me feul pump (due to the fact that you could smell gas STRONGLY when going up hills)- I replaced it and it ran for about 50miles, but now no difference. I took it to another mechanic and he mentioned it could be a # of sensors but would hate for me to spend $$ on process of elimination. We did so anyway and none of them worked. The diagnostic spit out Speed Sensor, Mass Airflow Sensor, the Oxygen Sensor, etc. None of which repaired the problem. He has also mentioned it could be ECU, because of it starting up when hitting it (not too hard though). The only thing with seeing if the problem is the ECU, is it is super expensive!!! Does anyone have any idea what is going on with my car??? Thanks in advance.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Default RE: AHHH WHAT IS WRONG WITH IT?!?!

well i have the same car but with a manual tranny, anyways, i had the same problem and it was the ECU. it didnt cost but around $300, kinda depending on your VIN, from the Mitsu. dealership.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 PM

Oh, so hopefully that is what it is. Did you install it yourself? Is it hard? Or does a mechanic have to do it? It looks like it would be simple, but I am not sure if they have to configure it or do anything a certain way..... Thanks!

Old 11-14-2006, 02:40 PM

Hopefully, it the ECU. My son got some water into his cold air intake, and they had to replace the engine. The ECU should reset itself when you start the car for the first time. If it does not, you might have other problems, and will need to take it to a shop for diagnosis.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:36 AM

Oh well, poo all I'v had is troubles with this car anyways! Oil in the spark plugs which ruined a whole bunch of things, new engine brackets, then some dumbass didnt get the part fixed on a recall, and my wheel seriously fell off and I almost DIED!!! My car was in the shop for like 3 months and I ended up getting in a huge argument with the president of Mitsubishi motors, a HUGE argument. Ever since I got it back its had all these friggan problems, which could or could not be ECU. So gone it goes!!!!!!!! Thanks for the advice though