Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

Alternator Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 01:10 AM
Default Alternator Problems

Hey Guys, I need help.
I was driving home the other day and my car Mitsubishi Mirage breaks down on the freeway. What had happened was that I had noticed that the lights were getting dim, so I stopped at a gas station, checked all my conections, realised that there was nothing wrong. Of course it had to happen on the night it was raining, but I got stranded. The power was going out and I barley made it to the side of the road. I had enough power to run the emegency lights. Well when I got someone to come out and help me, we tried starting it, but as soon as we disconected the cables, the car would turn off. I assumed that it was the alternator, since it sounded to me that the alternator was not giving charge. So I replaced the alternator today. Upon starting the car up, it seems like its still not giving a charge. The old battery did seems to have some charge in it when I jump it, but the alternator does not seem to give out the charge. I put a new battery in it to see if that is what the problem was. Well, the car runs, but the battery problem light and break light stay on. They will faid away at times, then return. If I run it with the lights on, then the llittel light stays on. I am able to turn the car on and off with no problem, but am afraid to drive the car. Anyone have any suggestions of what it might be. Any help is appreciated.

Old 10-25-2004, 01:06 PM
Default RE: Alternator Problems

Actually it sounds like you're having some grounding issues. I'm sure you've probably already done this, but double check all the grounding points and see if any are corroded or anything.

Old 10-26-2004, 04:01 AM
Default RE: Alternator Problems

Yeah, that is what I thought also, so I checked all the contections....I will check again when I get some light. I am pretty busy throughout the week and wont be able to check until Saturday..will let you know what it is.

Old 02-26-2011, 06:48 PM

I'm having the same problems with alternator being good, new battery, and have the battery light and brake light come on and off intermittendently. Anybody have a wiring schematic for 2000 Montero sport?