Mitsubishi Galant A sporty mid-sized sedan offering the perspective buyer a change from the normal mid-size sedan class.

Alternator/Power Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Default Alternator/Power Problems

First, I am sorry this is so long. My boyfriend and I have an old 1990 Galant. Last week it was acting up and broke down because it lost power; like when the alternator goes out. We got the Alternator checked and it was bad,so we bought a new one. When he was putting the new one in he broke a small piece of metal that a wire was wrapped around. It broke right in half. From what he describedit was located on the oil filter housing(?) and a wire from the Alternator was attached to it. At first he let that go and just finished installing it and then tried driving home later that day. It broke down again...when they tried to jump the car the battery would not hold power,the carjust kept shutting down. So he brought the battery home and charged itover night, we got it checked and it was fine. Then he came to the conclusion that the metal piece that broke was a ground for the alternator. That is where we need help...he fixed the wire to another piece of metal and the car well idle with the lights on for about 20+ minutes with no problem, but when he tried to drive, after about a few blocks the car starts to die again. We are stumped. What is going on? If you have any ideas or anything it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.