Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!

clutch problems (please help)

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 12:14 AM
Default clutch problems (please help)

my name is josh i just sign to this foruman i was wondering if anyone could help me out..i have a 97 eclipse gsx an i have been having some trouble with my clutch its aftermarket..ACT.. but the kid i bought the car from just got it in before i bought it so im not sure if its really the clutch or some other aspect of the clutch..after i drive for awhile when i push in the clutch pedel and downshift the shifter seems to stick ..mainly geting backin first gear and if i try to reverse it likes to grind but its not all the time it seems to get worse after i drive for awhile ..if anyone can help me message me please i would really appricate it

Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Default RE: clutch problems (please help)

First, adjust the clutch pedal. This is the MOST common thing and is forgotten a lot.
Original site: RRE

[align=center]Clutch Adjustment
[/align]
[align=left]Every time the clutch or flywheel gets replaced the clutch needs to be adjusted. Many people assume incorrectly that since it is a hydraulic system that it does not need adjustment or that it does not need adjustment. Wrong. You want a little free play off the floor before the clutch begins to grab. You also will need a little free play at the top of the pedal travel.
[/align]
[align=left]
[/align][align=left][/align][align=left]
[/align][align=center]2G[/align] [align=left]Loosen the lock nut on the adjuster rod and you'll be able to rotate the rod by hand. If getting the right free play off the floor makes it so that you loose the free play at the top of the pedal travel, you will need to adjust the upper travel stop. The upper travel stop is the cruise control switch.[/align][align=center] [/align]
Once you get the lock nut loose, turn the rod counter clockwise (wrench needs to move up) to extend the rod. Turn the rod clockwise (wrench needs to move down) to shorten the rod length.

How do you know if you have play at the top? Well, do you have to press the clutch pedal in all the way down? If so, you have A LOT of play at the top.
What your symptom sounds like to me is that the clutch isn't being released or pulled off the flywheel or off the syncros completely. That to me means that the clutch pedal doesn't have enough rod length to do so.

Old 03-28-2007, 12:32 AM
Default RE: clutch problems (please help)

Oh, another consideration is the tranny fluid used. For all you know, the previous owner could have put some cheap Autozone manual tranny fluid back. Afterall, they are getting rid of it right?

If the pedal adjustment doesn't help, flush the tranny fluid and put in GM/Penzoil Syncromesh or Redline MT90 or MTL.