Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mitsubishi lancer gts 09 cvt problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 05:36 PM
Default Mitsubishi lancer gts 09 cvt problems

Hi,

I got Problems too with my Mitsubishi lancer gts 2009 with cvt and manual mode. It’s an intermittent problem. Sometime, when I push the accelerator, nothing happen.

Example: I start the car, bring de car to the street, breake, turn end push accelerator, and it’s like nothing happen. The car speed goes around 20 km/h and Revolution going up slowly even if i push accelerator completely. It's like transmission where at 4-5 or 6th gear( Dashboard indicate I’m at first gear) After 2-5 sec, the car accelerates and revolution increases normaly.

It does not happen after driving a maximum of 1 km approxively. after the car has warmed up, the problem does not start again. even when I park the car for shoping and take it again.

Most of the time, it's happening when on manual mode (happened only 2 time on automatic mode) And on first speed after pushing brakes. Since that winter has arrived, this problem occurs more often

Steps to Duplicate:
From a cold start (~9hours) start the car, pull slowly out of parking space or garage. (My hunch is you need to be on level ground during this for it to work.
Drive in sport mode going ~10 mph for approximately 1-2 minutes.
Make a full and complete stop.
Give the car some gas to accelerate to (35 mph) and see if it is responsive.

I don't know if using reverse since the start of the car affect the problem frequency.

Another problem seems to have occurred when the cold of winter arrived (automatic mode). The first time it happened, I went shopping and when I left the terminal, via the road, I press the accelerator and the engine revolution increased beyond what ' it would have normally increased. It was as if the transmission was in first gear and it last after 3-6 sec going to rev normally.

Another winter problem has also happened. When the car did not run for at least 3 to 5 minutes approximately. It is impossible to switch to manual mode. After having driven less than 1 km, I can put the car in manual mode.

It should not be any problems with the transmission fluid. I bought my car in late September and an oil change was done this winter to 6000km.

The car dealer said he can not do much because the indicator light on the dash indicating a problem does not turn on (check engine) and it is an intermittent problem. They also tell me that they have not heard of other similar cases.

But when i show them a post i found on internet for similar problems, they told me that their technician was aware of this information, that did not matter to them and that was not an evidence even if it's seem similar, it can origin of a different problem.
They said that if they try to find the problem and they can not find it, I will pay for everything, including the hours that the engineers have worked and the use of a courtesy car.

I'm afraid to check car garages other than those of Mitsubishi dealer because of warranty.

I do not know if the problem comes from the transmission, or an electronic problem, or anything else.

I tried to park overnight at the car dealer so they can try the morning to find the problem but the problem not occured during the test car. I think it's because of the configuration of the area around car dealer, preventing to follow steps to duplicate the problem.

It seems to me that it happen only on lancer gts, and this could be a design problem of CVT related to manual mod. I don't think mitsubishi wish the problem to be know. It may cost them a lot of money and time.

Old 06-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Default Same problem

Also having this same problem. I am unable to reproduce the problem as it is intermitent, however it happens not just from the cold. We are in June and it still happens, but always from a stop or rolling start. Seems to be always in manual mode as well.

I also asked the service desk to check it, and they said they cannot do anything unless they can reproduce the problem themselves. We need more people that have this problem to find the fix. Obviously it is an issue with the car itself.

I was turning into a lane of on coming traffic when this was happening.. Obviously not a great thing when you're expecting to have a speed boost and not have issues. but when you lose all throttle... Well.. Accidents do happen. Who would be at fault then?

Hopefully my mitsubishi is not trying to kill me.

Old 10-19-2011, 09:12 PM
Default Outlander 2010 cvt problem

Wow!!I'm so surprised!!I bought my new outlander on dec 2010.
3 or 4 months after I took an exit after a 250 km drive. First stop, when I started back from the stop, the car became so slow to accelarate. Seems like it was stuck in fifth gear. After keep pushing on the gas, speed goes up slowly. It happened again 3 days after but this time without doing a long drive, right away when I was going out from the driveway. I ask my dealer to look at it, the problem was not present, so they told me they couldn't do anything about as the problem isn't solid.

In last september, problem happened again after a long drive, I brought it right away on a dealer so they could see the problem themself! After arguing with the car dealer (was claiming he had no mecanician available), a service representative finally accept to come try the car and finally acknowledge the problem. BUT...even after he tried the car (and the problem was solid at this time as long as you keep th car running) mitsubishi had no clue about what was causing it. They TRIED the body valve and that's it.

now 2 months after, the problem happened again and it's intermittent again so they claim they can't do nothing about it as long as the problem isn't solid.

But so strange... the problem is intermittent and they can't do anything but when the problem is solid they don't know what to do!!!
Really interresting

Old 11-24-2011, 12:17 PM

There is a service bulletin for the cvt trans to stay in high range after a prolonged highway drive at high speeds. The issue is the stepper motor doesnt reset, you should see the dealer and give them a good explanation of what is happening and ask them to review service bulletins applying to your vehicle.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:51 PM
Default exactly same with gts 2010

Any luck finding a solution for this annoying problem, i have gts 2010 and as u all mentioned the transmission get stuck and even trying to use cvt or tiptronic will not affect, it is just stuck on one of the gear levels and the only workaround is to stop/start the car!!!

your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 AM

Getting used to CVT behaviour takes some time: I switched from the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer (1300cc) to the 2009 Mitsubishi Lancer EX (1500cc) and wound that CVT has some issues that need 'learning and adapting' to.