Everything else Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue that doesnt fit into the other categories?? Ask it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outlander 2012 rear brake smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 09:39 AM
Default Outlander 2012 rear brake smell

Hi all, did a search and found nothing so here it goes.

I just did the brakes on the four wheels of my Outlander 2012 with 7 passenger seating. it's a SAWC.

I did a drive test around the block without any issues, all was fine.

My wife used it to do a 7 km drive and she told me there was a burnt rubber smell coming from one of the wheels.

i've checked everything, there is no oil or grease coming out of anywhere, the parking brakes are not too tight.

Should i check anything else? i'm baffled by this strange smell.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Thumbs up RearBrake Smell Outlander 2012

During the Covid Lockdown I have not used my car much The car is a 2012 series 2 Outlander. I needed to get a new valve stem for the spare due to leakage and on the way to the local Tyre fitter I also had a strong smell of overheating brakes. On checking all round the nearside (UK) rear wheel disk was very hot (careful I burnt the end of my finger. Doh!!) on return home I removed the wheel and then the caliper The piston would not retract easily and had to be forced in with a 'G' clamp . I also found the guide pins of the caliper mounting bracket did not slide easily. I re fitted cylinder hose and with caliper supported and with assistance using Brake pedal pushed out the piston (after removing both brake pads.) The piston had a slightly rusty outer lip and a very slight stain on the outer end of the piston Using a very fine wet and dry paper I was able to polish the end of the piston. The bellows seal for the brake pistonwas found to have split has had one of the small bellows seals on the guide pins for the caliper. All parts carefully and throughly cleaned and using a brake rubber grease (must be ok to use with the brake fluid) to lubricate the seals the piston was re assembled. The piston could now be easily pushed back in as a normal caliper. After reassembly of caliper and pads the brakes were bled and everything functioned normaly with no overheating. I am satisfied this was the problem and have now ordered a full seal replacement kit, new pads disks and brake shoes plus new brake hoses. The car passed MOT in February and has done very limited milage since. I think the small splits in the seal bellows was not seen by me or the MOT and lack of use has not helped. There was no brake fluid leaks and the amount of vissble corrosion very small. I did conside replacing both calipers but Mitsubishi spares are very expensive. Two othe large motor spares stockist both wanted £300 each and both wanted to replace both sides. Other on line suppliers had calipers at £25 each and the seal kits for both sides are £10 total and I found replacing the bellows seals is fairly easy. The tricky bit is getting the piston bellows seal back on the piston body when refitting the piston. I suggest a narrow and faily long none sharp tool somthing like a lollipop stick inside the seal to lever it back on around the piston. Its tempting to use a small screwdriver but you may puncture the new bellows seal. The piston and bores were in generaly good condition so I am trying this first and will now monitor.