Exterior Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

Roof damage... Possible solution?

Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Default Roof damage... Possible solution?

I have a 91 Eclipse GS and I have significant damage to the roof. I could take the time to work it out, but I know that it would never look the same. I have a parts car and I took the roof interior out to get a good look at the roof assembly. I think it's possible, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to remove the windshield and hatch and then cut the weld points and weld the 'new' roof onto my car. I realize that this could compromize the structural integrity of the car, but I really would like to have a nice roof on my car. I was thinking that maybe it would be a good idea to make stabilizer bars or a full roll cage for my car if I do swap the roofs. Any ideas? Thanks.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Default RE: Roof damage... Possible solution?

Well just to let you knw if a car has any sort of damage to the a pillars(pillars between body and roof) they will damage the car out. And I recommend not doing that, because if you crash your car ure pretty much fu**ed. I say just try and hammer it out,but if you hammer it too much all ull do is thin out the metal and itl be way too thin. So yeah its not looking good for you doing the work yourself

Old 06-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Default RE: Roof damage... Possible solution?

when i had roof damage on my car... took pics, talked to insurance backed repair shop, and sent everything to insurance, and they took care of it. I'd say take pics and let us know the extent of the damage. sorry this is probably way too late as you might have taken care of it, but if it helps then great.

if you are going to do it yourself, then just take it little by little. like lhaus said you might thin the metal too much = weakness. if you have the tools and take it slow you should be fine. good luck