Help- My eclipse overheating

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Default Help- My eclipse overheating

Hi guys!
So i'm just a girl that don't know much about cars, but been having some issues with my eclipse spider gs 2001, it has 117 000 milage on it.

Its been running good, until one day a few month ago it overheated. I took it in and they saw a hose was leaking,so they fixed that filled it up, burped it and put a new cap on the radiator. It worked for another week, until it overheated again, took it to a another shop and they tested it negative for a head gasket leak, but found that the thermostat was bad and actually didn't open so changed that.

The car worked fine for about 3 weeks and now the problem is back, Last night I got stuck in some heavy traffic and couldn't move, the temp went up in the red zone, but as soon as i pressed the gas and start coming up in speed 20mpg it went back in a second to about 45%.
Its only overheating when stopped in traffic and or in idle.

Today I drove it on the freeway for about 10 minutes, temp was about 45%. Drove some minutes in some stop and go traffic and seeing the temp is going up to about 50% … when I parked the car and let it run, the temp was about 45%, opened the hood, the fans were spinning, the coolant level is almost up to full, after a few minutes the fan went on really hard and I felt on the hose and the lower one and it was not so hot, i could grab them for a while. Looked back in the car and the temp sensor is almost up in the red zone. No a/c was on, fan working and it comes out cold air and hoses are not that hot.

What can be the problem?
I'm so tired of spending days at the mechanics

Old 12-08-2013, 04:49 AM

My suggestion is to have the radiator flushed, you can buy a kit and do it yourself, but also, the water pump, might have worn itself out pushing against a faulty thermostat. That is the last two major things that control cooling, so Id start there.

Old 12-18-2013, 08:59 PM

Sounds like its not cirulating, maybe they install the new t-stat backwards, take it back!

Old 12-20-2013, 12:04 AM

Like I said if I missed something pm me with the corrections.

----------------------------
Try looking for a great Santa Cutie Costume that works for your body and skin tone.