Importing a Japanese Galant worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 01:02 PM
Question Importing a Japanese Galant worth it?

Hey all, names Cindy and i just got my license after i was slacking on getting it for 2 years. I've been saving up for a car in Edmonton and was going to move back to Toronto and buy my self a Galant. The ones I kept looking at were the 2003 models. I really like the look and the reviews are spectacular. But every car for sale is either very expensive for the age or cheap, but has < 200.000Km on them. I dug a little deeper. And found Japanese used cars. | tradecarview.com with some really nice deals on a Galants for about 1000$ CAD and around 50.00Km. Now i know there is a lot of fees that come along with importing vehicles. Not exactly completely familiar with them but i figure it might run me 4-5 G's all together. Reason im doing this is because Japanese cars are built far more sturdy, have better mileage and greater power. This is all coming from one mechanics opinion so excuse me if the're false.

So basically im here to ask, is it all really worth it. If the mileage is better, I will save on Toronto crazy gas prices. But seeing as how its an import. Will i lose some on insurance? (im going to sign up under my sister) Im willing to learn and get used to right hand steering. Im fairly new to the automotive game. Only took 3 years of auto so not exactly an expert on cars. Also anything else i have to keep in mind before purchasing a vehicle from Japan. Like frauds or broken cars struck by the tsunami.

And im new to this forum so i apologise if i picked the wrong place to put this thread.

THANK YOU FOR ANY RESPONSES!

Old 08-03-2014, 12:36 PM

I can't address anything specific to importing into Canada, but I personally would not buy a car I couldn't touch, drive, evaluate, and inspect (or have inspected by a mechanic). It really doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

When your mechanic mentioned Japanese cars, I doubt he was speaking specifically about cars brought in from Japan. More likely he was talking about cars made by Japanese manufacturers. Most Japanese car makers have plants in the US (the Galant was most recently built in Illinois).

Take your time and find the right car, no need to get in a rush. If you can't find one in Canada, take a look across your Southern border. I imagine it would be easier to buy a U.S car than one from overseas. Good luck!