New 2014 Lancer SE. Is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 09:53 AM
Default New 2014 Lancer SE. Is this normal??

Hi, sorry for the long post in advance. I bought a brand new 2014 Lancer SE last year. Had it for almost a year now. I've noticed for the entire year, that there have been two major issues that I believe is not normal in a car. I'm not a huge car person, and don't know much in depth about them. I've owned a Subaru Imprezza and and Pontiac Sunfire. Both fairly older cars.

The first issue is an acceleration issue. When the gas pedal is pressed slightly, let's say in a situation where you're in traffic, and just want to maintain a slow, steady pace, from a stop to lgoing between 20-30km/h the engine begins to make an awkward... Grinding sound of sorts. I know this car doesn't have gears per say, it has the new technology, I forget what it's called. But when I shift into what seems like it would be 2nd gear, it starts to make an awkward sound, and if I maintain the speed and slight pressure on the pedal when that sound happens, the sound will drag out for a long time. Sometimes lasting 10-15 seconds. Is this normal? I've never experienced a sound like it before in any other car.

The 2nd issue is a stopping issue. My previous cars, along with any other random one I've driven, have allowed me when driving, and letting go of the gas, to coast, and come to an eventual, slow gradual stop. This car however seems to impede that. Upon taking my foot off the gas, in most cases, the car seems to put on some sort of automatic brake. Downshifting, or something. It makes for very awkward drives when approaching stop signs or lights. To go along with this, just before the car comes to a complete stop, it jerks. Almost like a baby in the back seat kicking me. I will start at 50km, slowly come to a stop, and anywhere between 5-15km, the car will jerk, applying what seems like a hefty brake before releasing it and allowing me to coast a little farther and then come to a complete stop.

Are either of these things normal for a 2014 Lancer? It's the most awkward feeling and sound I've ever experienced, and as "insignificant" as they are, they both ruin my driving experience every time I step into my car. I wanted perfection buying brand new. I feel like I'm driving a 15 year old car.

Any help would be very appreciated. I've spoken with the dealership multiple times. Went to bring in my car at least a dozen times, and they insist everything in the car is "normal". Can it really be normal to have such awkward sounds a jitteriness?

Thanks!

Old 07-08-2015, 07:25 PM

you dont happen to be a two foot driver do you?? like gas right foot...brake left foot?
just asking...I had a 2013 Lancer SE that I purchased brand new with the CVT transmission. It was very smooth in both acceleration and braking...never had any strange sounds or vibrations at all. It would seem that your car is doing some strange things. I would go to the dealership and ask them to let you drive a 2015 for a few miles and compare your findings. Not sure what country you are from..but good luck..and let us know what happened.

Old 07-09-2015, 10:55 AM

I Live in Canada, ON. I certainly don't have a double foot while driving. I could imagine that would possibly explain both issues. I've went to the dealer multiple times at the hope of someone agreeing with me, but no luck. I've even called headquarters, and they can't do anything about it, as it would need to be worked out at the dealership. I remember test driving one before I purchased it, and I didn't notice either issue. Ive always just gotten the response of "That's how the lancers are built". But it's not normal, for any car. I've driven Subarus, and those are supposed to be "built a little different", but they still feel and sound like a normal car.

I feel like I'm going insane, haha. It's extremely hard to point out the noise for testing with one of the mechanics at the dealership, because I feel like they don't understand what to listen for. And with the braking/coasting issue, they simple state "All cars have that." But it's simply not true. I feel like the dealership is working me over one because they don't want to have to admit being wrong.

I appologize for essentially just ranting, but I was hoping someone might have some insight as to what it could be, or what I could do? Should I go to the dealer, and request testing a '13, '14, and a '15 model? Would they allow that?

It's also important to note that I moved since purchasing it, and I don't live near the dealer I purchased it from. I've been dealing with the one closest to me, and they are hesitant to help me with it because they've stated that they have a 'limit' on having the techs look at it and such since I did not purchase it there.

I do appreciate the response. I just feel I'm at my wits end about this. I would love to just be able to enjoy a $25,000 purchase the same way someone would enjoy a $1,200 used car.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:41 PM

Damn...thats not fair at all...Where in Ontario are you located?? Im in the Toronto area and I know a few good dealerships here that have decent service departments. I would keep bugging them...its a brand new car after all...and keep in mind there is an "adjustment period" for the first 20,000 km..so the dealer pretty much has to do whatever they need to make it right...let us know how it works out...Good luck to you