Intake, Headers and Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here.

intake problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 11:47 AM
Default intake problem

ok so its not that big of a problem but my intake is like rightttt next to my battery and theres barely ne space, is there ne way to get like more of a space between the 2 so my battery doesnt start touching my intake and start to get melted and then get acid everywheree[:'(][:@]??

Old 09-26-2007, 01:48 PM
Default RE: intake problem

unless the kit is designed that way, you cant really do much about the positioning, unless ofcorse you play with the angle, or have it bent another way. Chances are the intake will not melt because it never gets that hot to were it will melt your battery. What it will do is short the battery, so what i reccomend is wraping the intake that's closest to the battery in with a peice of carboard, or plastic. Then wrap it completly with black tape to avoid any voltage being conducted, wich can start a fire.
Good luck

Gus

Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 PM

ehhhh, idk ive just been thinkin bout movin the bat to the trunk, one of my friends is bout to do it with his dad and im thinkin bout just gettin his dad to help me and do mine too, but ya thatd prob work too but i think id just go with like some kind of fiberglass insulator and wrap the intake then and keep it from the bat, cause for right now thats wut my friend has on his but ya idk, thanks for the input tho compose

Old 09-27-2007, 01:31 AM

anything to stop the battery from shorting. Thats really all that matters. I gave you my example because i know it's effective, and doesn't look like a backyard mechanic put it together. I'm sure the way your going to do it will work just fine.good luck, anymore questions just ask

Gus

Old 09-27-2007, 08:02 AM

96420ars - i'm assuming ur talking about the car in your s/n. i never had a battery problem. do you have an ebay intake? is it Cold Air or Short Ram? are you sure that you have the right part for the right car? I relocated my battery in my 99 GS to the trunk and it cleaned up the engine bay really well, gave me a lot more clearance, a lot more room to work and it's just something else you can say you've done. i'd suggest a red top or yellow top. not only are they aestetically more pleasing but that is what they are made for.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:14 PM

I had an 05 lancer ES before my RA and had an Injen Short ram and had the same problem it came right at my battery and i played with it and tried everything. And yes i got the right one. It never really did anything to harm the engine but i didnt like it so i moved my battery to my trunk. I did it myself and fabricated a nice steel box, you can buy the kits it runs you about the same. I used Monster Cable for the hot wire that i ran through the car and put it into a cable spilter so i could run it to my radio still from the front. I then grounded it under the spare and it ran just fine, but you have to get a thick gauge wire you cant cheat there. So i would suggest doing that plus if you have or put a system in your car the battery is already back there . If you do it and need help just PM me and i can help.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:11 AM

i also had a system in my car w/ 2 amps and made it work just fine. i used 2 or 4 gauge i'm pretty sure. going all the way to 0 will drain ur battery too fast i was told.

Old 09-28-2007, 05:34 PM

Yeah depends on the battery but stick with 2 gauge and you will be good

Old 09-30-2007, 12:17 PM

Put the battery in the rear. What the hell, drive axle is in the front. Might as well offset some weight.
If you would like I can post picks of my setup.