Mitsubishi 3000GT During it's production run, and after, the 3000GT was a pure sports car offering forced induction and all wheel drive, as well as smooth aerodynamic styling.

1999 3000GT VR4 in need of some advice.

Old 04-04-2009, 04:20 AM
Default 1999 3000GT VR4 in need of some advice.

Hi

i'm just looking for some advice on a few problems with this car.

1. the active aero warning light is on, therefore the aero would not work during high speeds. i have found that the front aero motor is faulty. how can i by-pass this so i can still use the rear aero? i have tried to disconnect the multi plug on the front aero motor, but the system still detects a fault and warning light still on.

2. i have the 6 speed manual gearbox an and from time to time while parking or at traffic light i cannot get into or out of gear. would this be a clutch release bearing problem? or has it got anything to do with the clutch vacuum hose (clutch pedel soft while stand still & harder when accelerating)
the problem is that it doesnt do this everytime only sometimes.

3. is there anyway to fix or clean the stepper motor (idler) rather than replacing it as its so expensive.

4. does anyone know where i can get parts at good prices?

thanks for your help

Mike

Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by cooldude8
Hi

1. the active aero warning light is on, therefore the aero would not work during high speeds. i have found that the front aero motor is faulty. how can i by-pass this so i can still use the rear aero? i have tried to disconnect the multi plug on the front aero motor, but the system still detects a fault and warning light still on.

2. i have the 6 speed manual gearbox an and from time to time while parking or at traffic light i cannot get into or out of gear. would this be a clutch release bearing problem? or has it got anything to do with the clutch vacuum hose (clutch pedel soft while stand still & harder when accelerating)

3. is there anyway to fix or clean the stepper motor (idler) rather than replacing it as its so expensive.

thanks for your help

Mike
Where are you located?

The US Spec 99 Vr-4's didn't have active aero... that ended in 96. If you're overseas somewhere, then that would explain it. Anyway, check out www.stealth316.com, I believe there is a "how to" for bypassing the front aero dam.

Have you checked the clutch fluid level? If it's low, it could be a clutch master or slave cylinder problem.

We have a lot of parts here at our warehouse. We can try to help you out. Otherwise, An Autozone or Advanced is a good place to get brand new parts for most stuff (clutch, master/slave cylinders, etc, etc). They also have lifetime warranties on a lot of stuff, so, it's worth it to buy from them sometimes.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:01 PM

Hi Girly VR4

i'm located in Edinburgh Scotland uk.
that'll explain how my car has active aero.
the reason i'm on this website as no-one was able to help here cos there are very few 3000GT's in UK and not many mechanic/technician know much about these cars.

i had a look at the link steath316.com but cant find anything on by-passing the active aero. but i'll keep on looking.

i have checked the clutch fluid and its at the correct level, but i do suspect the problem to be a sticky release bearing, but not sure unless i spend ££££ to have the gearbox removed.

thanks
mike

Old 04-05-2009, 07:50 PM

Hi Girly VR4

i'm located in Edinburgh Scotland uk.
that'll explain how my car has active aero.
the reason i'm on this website as no-one was able to help here cos there are very few 3000GT's in UK and not many mechanic/technician know much about these cars.

i had a look at the link steath316.com but cant find anything on by-passing the active aero. but i'll keep on looking.

i have checked the clutch fluid and its at the correct level, but i do suspect the problem to be a sticky release bearing, but not sure unless i spend ££££ to have the gearbox removed.

thanks
mike
I'll direct my boyfriend to your post. He can tell you better than I can what is wrong, and what to look for. It'll save you a headache and 1/2 and a lot of money compared to ripping your transmission out to check.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:10 PM

Hi

I know 3sx sells (or used to sell) a front air dam simulator so you could have your rear active aero spoiler still function without the front air dam being there.

You may just need to adjust the clutch pedal. The adjustment is on the clutch master cylinder inside the car. For a RHD car it would be on your passenger side (left side of the car). There is a 12mm jam nut that you will loosen and then spin the rod out of the clutch pedal assembly (which will basically make the rod longer). Tighten the jam nut back up and see if that helps at all. You will probably only have to screw the rod out about 3-4 full turns.
You can get a new stepper motor for about $125 USD. I'm not sure what they go for over there. Stealth316.com has a write up on how to clean them out. It's pretty simple.

There are plenty of shops in the US that carry parts for these cars. OEM parts could be had at Cherry Hill Mitsubishi, Rockville Mitsubishi, Mentor Mitsubishi. Those are a few of the discount dealers here in the US. Just do a google search for their websites.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:00 AM

Hans

thanks for the info, i will try to adjust the clutch pedal sometimes this week when i get time off work.
and do you know where i could get a front air dam simulator?

thanks
mike