Mitsubishi Diamante For the faithful Mitsubishi owner, this car offers high end luxury without high end luxury pricing.

Engine Rebuild kit anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Default Engine Rebuild kit anyone?

I bought my diamante off ebay knowing only of it needing a timing belt and 2 heads. the guy gave me 2 heads and i bought the timing belt. i put the engine back together to find out i was mixing gas and oil??? what happened there? is that my piston rings? and i am looking for a rebuild kit for a winter project. does anyone know where i might be able to get a hold of a rebuild kit for a fair price?
Thanks,
Mo

Old 08-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Default RE: Engine Rebuild kit anyone?

Hello MoMoney,

may want to ask your question here too

http://www.diamanteowners.com/index....oard&Itemid=30

Old 06-03-2006, 09:19 AM
tdg

something i stumbled across....don't know if it applies to the mitsubishi. interesting tho. The engine has a problem so the head is replaced to correct the problem. Immediately afterward the engine starts knocking or ticking.
The misdiagnosis is that the valve job gave the engine too much power making the aged bottom end fail. What really happened is that the mechanic burped the heads and timing cover off without draining the coolant from the engine first. The coolant spills into the bottom end of the engine. Even one oil change may not get all of the spilled glycol antifreeze out.

When you mix the smallest amount of antifreeze and water with motor oil you end up with a low grade acid that attacks the bearings. When you autopsy the engine you will find that the bearings are darkened and with time the bearing surface becomes rough. That's why it developed a bearing knock immediately after the heads were done. The right way is to open the drains or knock the back freeze plugs out. Vee engines have two separate water jackets on each side so don't forget that you have two drains, one each for the right and left.

Old 11-01-2006, 02:09 AM

is it a sohc or dohc motor ???? the timing belt adjuster goes out and the timing will jump off idle and it will rattle real bad also