Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Engine light goes on, and then off?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 PM
Default Engine light goes on, and then off?

I have a 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor LS with approx. 178,200 KMS on it.
For the second time, the engine light came on, along with the Neutral flashing while im on Drive (on the dashboard).

When this happens, the car does not accelerate the same. It is as if the parking brake is applied (when it's not). It is very slow.
Both times I left the car alone for a few hours. Started it up again, the gears are working fine again, drives fine, but engine light stays on.
After filling up at the gas station, the light turns off (I don't think it's just because I didn't properly put the gas cap but anyway...)

The engine has a fairly loud ticking noise, which a subtle knock.
My dad's mechanic told me to use a thicker kind of oil because it is no longer a brand new engine and the 5W-20 factory recommendation is meant for a brand new engine.

The car is driving fine again, but I am very curious as to what is causing this?
I talked to several people and described to them what happened. One guy from Mr.Lube told me that it is probably the transmission sensor. These things wear out over time and could be triggering it, and the reason the car slows down is because it is in "safe mode." Which makes sense....
Damn computer sensors.

Based on the symptoms I've just described, I'm hoping someone could tell me what might be going on, and if I'm lucky if someone had the same problem with the same car.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:28 AM

Sounds feasible. But try getting getting those codes checked out then go from there.