Mitsubishi Endeavor This mid-sized sport utility vehicle offers a sporty look and excellent power, as well as a comfortable interior.

Water leak while A/C is on

Old 09-01-2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by dan1cee
my factory warranty expired at 60,000 ,i just discovered this problem last week while taking a long trip and running my a/c for extented periods of time.will mitsubishi cover this repair because it appears to be a design/engineering problem.
debris entering the car is not an engineering problem.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by dan1cee
my factory warranty expired at 60,000 ,i just discovered this problem last week while taking a long trip and running my a/c for extented periods of time.will mitsubishi cover this repair because it appears to be a design/engineering problem.

My 06 had the same problem after less than a year and was fixed under warranty. Your best bet is to contact your dealer and site the TSB.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:25 PM

many brews, there is a hole in the bulkhead that YOU CAN GET AND AIR BLOWER to it UNCLOG IT. in south louisianna its hot here, and a/c's are blasting. i do this most everyday. but this fix is only if the hvac unit is clogged.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:32 PM

if the a/c unit is not clogged, then the gromet around the drain portion of the hvac unit that seals the firewall to the hvac is dry rotted and the water that is supposed to be draining outside is comming back inside. this is a VERY COMMON problem with the 04-5 endeavor. dash and hvac unit have to be removed to replace a $1.50 grommet. this is a very big job, all day job. i have done several of these and it pays 9 labor hours to do. not easy either.dont attempt to do this job unless your a qualified technition. freon has to be removed from hvac unit before removal. also has to be put back in after job is done. take it to the dealer and let us do it. we dont take on a job like that after someone else has already started it, then what u gonna do??

Old 10-03-2009, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by jgbrules
many brews, there is a hole in the bulkhead that YOU CAN GET AND AIR BLOWER to it UNCLOG IT. in south louisianna its hot here, and a/c's are blasting. i do this most everyday. but this fix is only if the hvac unit is clogged.
no, there isnt. you cannot reach the drain externally. the only real way to fix this issue is to remove the HVAC unit. You may be able band-aid it by blowing air in or out of various other locations, but the drain itself is not accessible.

Old 10-03-2009, 11:18 PM

sorry brews, THERE IS A WAY TO GET AT IT. mitsubishi is investigating this issue. if i recall you work for a dealer dont you?? well, go onto dealer link and look up the the latest issue of the S.M.A.C minutes. (service managers advisory council). you will see that product support just came out with a quick fix, i participated in the meeting as any dealership can and we talked extensivly about this issue. too much to talk about here, and a t.s.b is gonna soon be comming down the pipeline outlining the steps to take about fixing the a/c water leak without removing the hvac unit. our dealership does this all the time, and we sent in a PQR (product quality report) with pictures outlining the steps. gillman mitsubishi also did the same. again the drain can be accessible, and you can fix this without removing the hvac unit. BIG BIG saving to mitsubishi for warranty, and if the job is customer pay save the customer too!! read up brews!!

Old 10-05-2009, 05:36 PM

dont tell me to "read up". its annoying.
first, i worked for mitsu for 17 years. the drain isnt accessable from the outside. there are ways of fixing the issue without taking it all apart, to be sure. but not good ways. ive unclogged many without disassembly, but you cant get the debris out, so its at best a stop-gap measure. all you do is move it around.

second, i quit mitsu 2 months ago to go work for BMW, as it seems unlikely mitsu is going to survive. even if they do, i needed to go to a company that has a customer base with rediculous amounts of money to spend.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:27 PM

well brews i wish you good luck with BMW. your gonna need it. mitsubishi WILL survive. as a 20 year vet myself i'm not worried a bit. BUT, i suggest you READ UP on TSB-09-55-002 . been out for about 3 months. outlines specific details on how to remove debris from the evap case WITHOUT removing it. i had the opportunity to do this today and it works great!! also that TSB i was telling you about for the water leaking that you have to put a hose on the drain from the OUTSIDE with a 90 degree bend on it, will be out next month.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:46 PM

im not very optimistic about a car company that is selling only 4000 cars a month. if they were high-end cars, with a huge profit margin, that would be one thing.
but they're not. theres no way the chicago factory is gonna survive these times.

i hope they do, but a small player like mitsu has a much harder time than the big boys.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:55 PM

Driver's post (#7) is right on the money. with those pics, i found the hole on my 08 Endeavor. got a hangar wire & a small screwdriver in it with truck up on jackstands. only problem was no water came out. but i had just gotten home from a long drive w/o the A/C on, so i might have "lost" most of the water. the hole is a bi%&h to get at, but it is right where the thin metal lines are horizontal. cant get to it from topsides; must reach up from bottom. i have an appt ith dealer to do the whole job, but i am hoping that they have a fix so that this doesnt happen again, right after my warranty runs out!! 9 hrs of dealer labor has to be a $1000 job! thanks again Driver!!

jgbrules, can you please provide more details on the PQR you mention? thanks!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water leak while A/C is on