Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2003 Lancer A/C Clutch question

Old 07-12-2010, 02:39 AM
Default 2003 Lancer A/C Clutch question

Hi guys! My '03 (112K miles) Lancer OZ Rally is making a funny noise that sounds like metal on metal, or a rattling bad bearing type noise. It's intermittent but I've pretty much narrowed it down to the A/C compressor clutch assembly.

It appears at times the pulley for the A/C clutch will wobble and then the outer metal rotor disc part of the the clutch rattles and makes all kinds of noise. Seems worst at idle. The A/C still works, the clutch does engage and it blows ice cold so I do not want to remove the A/C compressor and open up the system if I don't have to.

With that in mind I have a few questions.

1. What exactly would go bad on the clutch? I'm assuming there is a bearing assembly built/pressed into the pulley. Is there any way to replace the bearings only or do I need to buy a $200-$300 clutch from the dealer?

2. I noticed in the Mitsu parts diagrams online there is a "repair kit" listed for the clutch which looks like it consists of the snap rings, nut and a shim/s. Would this inexpensive repair kit solve my issue?

3. Has anyone replaced the clutch on the car on the lancer before and if so is it difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help!
-James

Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 AM
Van

A/c clutch is gone. The main pulley is probably what caused it. You could just replace everything on the front end of the compressor, but it might be best to replace the whole compressor assy. You should be able to do the pulley and the disc only though, and that's not the inexpensive parts kit.

Not hard, but it's easier when you've got all the right tools in front of you. You'll need some snap ring pliers and it'll be way easier with the compressor off the car. I don't believe I've ever done one of those with the compressor still on the car.