Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Sportback Newer to the United States, the Lancer line offers a sporty compact sedan, with all of the fine styling of the performance minded Evolution.

2012 Beer can, i mean Lancer

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:24 PM
Default 2012 Beer can, i mean Lancer

now that I got your attention, this was my first Lancer and it was a 2012 SE AWC , awesome car, and to be honest my first import vehicle, was purchased july last year and well as of yesterday morning its totaled.

First off Wife is road rashed pretty good from seatbelt/airbags and bad case of whiplash but otherwise in good health...

Wife playing with stereo wasn't paying attention and ran a red light at around 50km/h (guess she forgets it has steering controls) and Tboned a 2010 Dodge Caravan.

The caravan was damaged as bad as I would have thought but the rear axle got pushed out the passenger side so its point of impact, which has me confused, but the Lancer Crumpled like a empty beer can.

The front frame were front bumper is mounted got pulled in on both sides the front bumper/rad support is crushed up against the engine crushing the intake to the motor, the side of car is crumpled and buckled at the upper strut mount , estimate is between 22 and 30,000.00 . due to the structural damage so it is a complete write off.

car had clean carfax when I got it so all was original..
I loved the car and was great in bad weather let alone fuel economy is best ive had, but this slow speed impact has scared me from ever buying another import, last vehicle I had an accident with was my Pontiac G6 and again was written off due to structural damage but was nowere near this bad(was hit in the rear by a drunk driver in a truck)

Now, what I want to know is this normal for newer cars to crumple like this in such lower speed? I know they are designed to crumple and go under in high-speed but this damage is unbelievable for speed travelling

Sorry if posted in wrong spot but I just need some info before I go look at replacing it(extra insurance purchased for replacement) or just letting insurance pay off the loan...

picture from front and under crumpled hood

Name:  car1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  260.0 KB
Name:  car3.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  209.8 KB

Old 03-11-2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by 98JEEPTJ
now that I got your attention,
albeit not a very helpful title.

First off Wife is road rashed pretty good from seatbelt/airbags and bad case of whiplash
good. and none-to timely a reminder to pay some f*ing attention.
hopefully the lesson sticks for quite a while, lest she runs over my children.

Now, what I want to know is this normal for newer cars to crumple like this in such lower speed? I know they are designed to crumple and go under in high-speed but this damage is unbelievable for speed travelling
yes.
modern cars are sh*t. made out of inferior alloys (light weight and save fuel - unable to be panelbeaten for more than the most minor damage) rather than steel and designed to be almost 100% sacrificial around the cab. things are now designed to be replaced, rather than repaired. thankyou throw-away consumeristic society and a good dose of chinese slave labour.

this is not brand-specific, nor import vs domestic, any car that isn't made out of steel will do the same.

as an interesting aside (and probably why w/yanks have an obsession with "suv"s) the heavier vehicle, travelling faster, will usually come out better in a collision.

but there is a foolproof way to avoid any such event: don't drive into sh*t. it's worked for me for ages.

Old 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM

oh gawd, guess I keep the Jeep aslong as I can then its still made of metal! LOL and runs over **** all the time! HAHAHA tree what tree??? mazda? what mazda(wish I was joking)

Old 03-12-2015, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by 98JEEPTJ
oh gawd, guess I keep the Jeep aslong as I can then its still made of metal! LOL and runs over **** all the time! HAHAHA tree what tree??? mazda? what mazda(wish I was joking)
maybe neither you nor your wife should be operating motor vehicles.

perhaps a bicycle would be more suitable.

Old 03-13-2015, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
maybe neither you nor your wife should be operating motor vehicles.

perhaps a bicycle would be more suitable.

it wa smore meant since its a Jeep, and playin in the trails, and yes I ran up on the back of a mazda B4000 that was a bush buggy and no box.... but anyway final estimate was just under 30k in damages, so its gone, faar to much structural damage.

payout sucks but I walk away from it oweing nothing which is good, but insurance rates gonna hurt come renewal ..

thanks for the info tho that cars are much beer cans, think I will stay away from cars and deal with fuel sucking economy