Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Free beer - looking for a volunteer - free beer

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 03:38 PM
Default Free beer - looking for a volunteer - free beer

Okay, I am need of some assistance and I need someone who has satellite radio installed and who is willing to spend 10 minutes of their time to help me out.

Here is what I need someone to do:

1. Remove lower glove box door. To accomplish this, you first need to remove the bottom cover piece which is under the main glove box. There are two plastic center pin retaining clips, one on either side, right under the glove box door. To remove the retaining clips, you need to first pop out the center plastic pin with a small flat screwdriver - this will lift the pin and reduce the pressure on the backside plastic retaining spreader easily allowing you to pull the clip out. Once removed, push down on the cover and it swings away from the bottom. Here are some pics:

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  50.9 KB

Here are the retaining clips when removed. Note the pins are in the "out" postion which allows the spreaders to collpase in when removing.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  18.9 KB

2) To remove the actual door, open the door and then squeeze the sides inwards to free the back side of the door - the door will now open a little bit more. The door hinges aren't really hinges. The door actually just clips into an axle bar which it rotates about. WIth the door freed, grab each side and give it a good tug to free the door completely. On the right side of the assembly is a plastic vaccum plunger assembly which slows the rate of descent when you open the door - it will probably fall on the floor but no worries.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  40.2 KB

Note the glove box door and actual storage compartment are all one molded piece so the whole thing comes out.

Okay, the most difficult part is over which will probably take someone all of 5 minute to do the first time they do it!

On to the important part:

Now that the glove box assembly is out of the way, you have full access to the satellite tuner - it is attached to the firewall with two brackets and will be in plain view. It should have three connectors going into it: 1) The antennaecable 2) A 14 pin white connector with seven wires. 3) and maybe - 4 pin mini-din connector - otherwise known as an S-video cable. Here is the location:

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  38.8 KB

Here is the info I need:

1) Unplug the 4 pin min-din (S-video) cable from the satellite tunerand turn on your head unit. Can you play your satellite radio with seemingly no effect? Do you still have sound? Is all the information still broadcast properly? Are all functions still working?

2) On the satellitetuner unit itself should be a part number - can you identify the number? Try looking for a number such as 82208881AA or something similar. Note this is not a Mitsubishi part number but rather MOPAR. If there is only a Mitsubishi part number such as MZxxxxxx, MNxxxxx, etc. can you please provide it also. You may need to remove the tuner to look which is mounted to a couple of brackets.

3) Is there any indication on the tuner unit as to who manufactured it? If the part number is an 8220xxxxx then it is definitely MOPAR.

That's it - I will definitely owe you a few beers for helping me out. If anyone is willing but is not clear with my directions either PM me or post here and I can try and clarify.

Thanks all.

Rich

Old 04-30-2007, 05:43 PM
Default RE: Free beer - looking for a volunteer - free beer

I already took pictures of the Sirius unit when I was messing around. I'll get the info you need by 8pm tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:54 PM

Beauty - looking forward to it.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:35 PM

1) Unplug the 4 pin min-din (S-video) cable from the satellite tunerand turn on your head unit. Can you play your satellite radio with seemingly no effect? Do you still have sound? Is all the information still broadcast properly? Are all functions still working?

There is no 4pin (s-video cable) in the Sirius tuner. It is a 14pin and an antenna connection. That's it.
The SIRIUS option is still displayed on the Nav system, despite me unplugging the 14pin plug. When I tried to access it, it didn't have any information...the unit will display "antenna error" and no stations are displayed.

In the secret menu, the CANBUS still recgonizes it as "SATR."

2) On the satellitetuner unit itself should be a part number - can you identify the number? Try looking for a number such as 82208881AA or something similar. Note this is not a Mitsubishi part number but rather MOPAR. If there is only a Mitsubishi part number such as MZxxxxxx, MNxxxxx, etc. can you please provide it also. You may need to remove the tuner to look which is mounted to a couple of brackets.

Under "Model no" it has the following:

34P015A \ CQ-7MU7CAN

Here's another number that is on the unit that aren't related to a SN or SIRIUS number:

8701A103

3) Is there any indication on the tuner unit as to who manufactured it? If the part number is an 8220xxxxx then it is definitely MOPAR.

No, but it does say "made in Japan" right on the sticker.

I took a few pics, but they're 6megs each and I have DSL (slow upload) so I'm not posting them. However, if you desperately need them, I'll email you.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:11 AM

Perfect, thanks for the info BB - this is just what I was looking for.

Old 05-01-2007, 08:51 AM

That doesn't sound like good news, for us Canadian.

Do you still see hope rdenis?

Old 05-01-2007, 12:47 PM

Don't despair yet, I'm working on something andthis info was very helpful.I'll post a new thread once Ihave worked my way through this regardless. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:07 PM

I dont fully understand what exactly you are trying to accomplish/find out.
I have the full Mitsu. Outlander FSM, so if you can tell me a little more about what exactly it is you are trying to figure it out, i would be glad to open the book, and figure it out.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:16 PM

I was trying to find out why the third page of the electrical diagram for the MMCSwas showing aDIN connection between the headunit and satellite tuner. Didn't make sense to me and as bb13 has now confirmed there is no physical connection.

Granted I was looking at an electronic version and it may have been an error that's been corrected in the hard copy. If you don't mind checking it out, that would be great too.