Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

'05 Montero Ltd. - Another Puzzler (starting)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 08:12 PM
Default '05 Montero Ltd. - Another Puzzler (starting)

My Montero is doing one of those strange things vehicles do to play with your head. Sometimes, when you turn the key to start it, the vehicle won't do a thing. All the dash lights, alarms, etc. work as they are supposed to, but when you turn the key, nothing. I do this a few times and nothing, after some time trying all of the sudden the engine cranks normally and starts. Here are some key notes:

1. This problem happened about 2 yrs. ago, one day it just totally disappeared by itself, and never came back, until about a week ago.

2. Doesn't matter if the vehicle is cold or hot, it can happen early in the morning when starting it for the first time during the day, it can happen later when I turn it off to get into my office, etc. There is no pattern as if to the vehicle being hot or cold.

3. Just in case, I run the shift lever back and forth through the gears. I put it in N to try, then back to P, with the same results.

I have not gone through the diagnosis procedure of checking the starter, then checking the range switch (aka neutral safety switch). Or, maybe checking if there is a relay involved, if any, that could be the culprit.

Maybe someone else has experimented this situation and already has the fix for this fault.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:20 PM

Do the lights on the dash dim at all when you turn the key into Start position? If yes, it is possible you have a weak battery. If not, most likely an interlock (neutral safety) switch or an ignition switch issue.

Old 10-08-2015, 10:38 PM

Just had this exact same issue today. From what I have read on other forums, it's probably a bad starter solenoid. I am debating now to replace just the solenoid or the whole thing. Granted I need to take it to a shop to diagnose the problem for sure.