Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

05 Montero Ltd AT/MT Tire Size?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:58 PM
Default 05 Montero Ltd AT/MT Tire Size?

Probably this has been discussed in the past, but I'm new to the forum and found no recent posts regarding my question.

It is time to change tires on my 05 Montero Limited. For the past two years I have been running Pep Boys Definity Dakota A/T (Cooper) in 265/70-17 size. These tires have been very good performers, couple of times a month they have been thru mud, sand, rocks, and everyday they are used on highway. Never did my Montero got stuck in off road conditions, but we all know the excellent off road capabilities of Montero's. Tires would still have had at least 6 more months of life it it wasn't for a camber issue on all 4 wheels that went unnoticed by me until it was too late.

Now I'm at a crossroads where I need to make a decision if to buy AT or MT tires. Most probably I will go with MT (Hankook R03 or BFG Mud Terrain) sacrificing wear and gas mileage, but increasing off-road capabilities. A 2" OME or Ironman lift kit is in the plans, but not for another year or so. At that time I will most probably change tires, again, and wheels.

At this time, would like to know what is the largest tire size that can be fitted in a stock suspension/wheels (17") 03-06 Montero without modifications or a slight mod like wheel spacers? Having other sizes available, besides 265/70-17, opens up a whole new range of tire brand/model options. 255/75-17 (Jeep Rubicon) are 1/2" radius taller, but are 1" narrower than the current size I'm using.

Last edited by guangui; 07-22-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:01 AM

Since you do a fair amount of wheeling, I would go with the MT! It's so worth the MPG hit to have the traction when you're off highway.
I have the OME med. in back and the heavy in front, and I'm running 265/75/16's with no problem. Remember that when your suspension cycles it will put the wheel into positions that you can't see when fitting the new tire size. I won't go with anything taller than what you have now until you have your suspension lift installed. However, you could go a bit wider if you want a larger footprint for sand and snow. If you do change your wheel size, I would suggest taking it down to a 16. This will increase your side wall size which will benefit you when airing down on the trail and allow you to get a bigger tire. Also, Think about going for an E load. 5 ply side walls are stiffer when on highway and tougher when hitting the trail. If you do any snow wheeling, be sure you have enough clearance for your chains when the suspension cycles. If you have your alignment tuned a couple times a year (esp. after a few hard trail runs) your tires will last- rotating them every 3K will help as well.
Good Luck

Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM

Thanks for your recommendation, MT tires will be. Need to check what size will keep the same diameter as the 265/70-17, but is wider. I guess it has to be something like a 285/60-17 (making up the size from the top of my head) or similar. Snow is not a problem, if you see my location I'm in PR (Puerto Rico) on the Caribbean. As for alignment I know more than that, I am mad because I failed to do it. Caster is actually no problem, but camber is negative by a few degrees, most noticeable in the rear.

I see that you have an ARB front bumper, if possible post a pic, would love to see how it looks in an 01-06 Montero, as I have my eye set on one.

Last edited by guangui; 07-22-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:39 AM

I posted a pic of my rig in the "photo gallery".
The title is: '02 Monty