Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

1996 Mistubishi Montero SR Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 12:58 PM
Default 1996 Mistubishi Montero SR Fuel Issues

Hi All,

So my Montero has been sitting for a while and started up and ran last year. This go around it won't start. I suspected a fuel delivery issue and I was right. The old fuel pump was worn and the screen sock at the end was chopped off and the sending unit was rusty. I assumed some rust had gotten in the system so this could be pretty bad. The engine cranks strong and is getting plenty of air. Compression is fine. I hear the pump buzzing in the tank so I know it is working. When I first got the new pump in and cranked afew times the montero idled very low and when I accelerated it tried very hard to increase. It eventually shuttered and quit so I know I am not getting fuel to the engine.

While replacing the pump I checked the fuel gauge sending unit. The little wire that gives power to the gauge had a circular connector that sits at the top of the sending unit. I soldered it back on but the gauge still doesnt work. Does this have anything to do with fuel delivery at all?

NEXT, I replace the fuel filter and check to make sure the fuel pump relay is clicking. I am getting clicks when I turn to the on position and when I turn car off. Is there a fuel pump relay and ecm relay or just one of these?

I wanted to check the injectors to see if they are spraying correctly but I know I have to remove the intake plenum. Some say that on the 3.5 V6 you dont have to remove the plenum. Worst case scenario is that there is blockage in the lines. If so, how can I blow out the system?

SIDENOTE: I am not new to working on cars but I am newish to monteros. Please help as you can.

Thanks!!!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 PM

Good luck!

I can tell you on my 2002 6G74 3.5L you definitely have to remove the upper intake manifold to get access to the fuel rail and the injectors. I think same level of effort to get access to the spark plugs.

Picture of mine with the upper intake removed. I think you are referring to it as the plenum.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Mistubishi Montero SR Fuel Issues-6g74-injectors-fuel-rail.jpg  
Old 03-14-2016, 11:33 PM

So I believe there is junk in the lines. The high pressure fuel line is seized on the assembly so I am having to drop the tank to check anything out. I noticed before the fuel filter there are two small hard fuel lines one for the pump line and return line. I believe the blockage might be there. Is there anyway to blow the lines out?

When I disconnect the line on the fuel filter from the tank and crank the car no fuel is coming out.

Old 01-23-2022, 09:03 PM

Hey man, the reply rate on these forums is a bummer.

I just wanted to see if you’d solved this, and if so, what was the solution?

thanks man.

Old 01-27-2022, 01:04 AM

ideas,
change fuel filter.
aquire the proper size banjo fitting /tube / gauge to connect to the filter outlet.
install this gauge kit on the output of fuel filter. use new seals / o-rings if possible.
you can now test the fuel rail /system pressure under load.
start the engine, double check no leaks from filter and gauge.
the pressure should be 40 or above i believe., should increase as rpm rises.
remove the vac line from the fuel pressure regulator, the pressure should go up i believe.
put vac line back on

take a pair of smaller straight tipped vice grips,
find the fuel regulator to tank line. should have a rubber hose .
while watching the pressure gauge, pich the line shut, this should cause max fuel pressure,
remove vie grips, watch gauge for changes

if these tests look normal, things should be good, as log as a fuel filter was in full time use

hopefully some helpful diags for you

Old 01-27-2022, 01:13 AM

try using the pump test connection under the hood.
if you have the pump to filter disconnected, and no fuel coming out , when pump activated,
1. listen to pump , cane you hear it run., good sign, clog possible
2. check power to pump, to identify a wiring issue., if no sound
3. you can use an air compressor with an adapter to blow the line, be careful, gas can go pfffffttt all over. wear safety glasses.!
4. verify if pump functional.by whatever means suits you, or get a new pump if old one is pftt.

helpful hints i hope
Chris