Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Mitsu Montero Limited 3.5L

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:18 PM
Cool 2002 Mitsu Montero Limited 3.5L

Bought this vehicle at an auction without hearing the engine run at all, I just saw the potential... However upon getting a new battery and the keys, I found out the engine turns, there's spark but no ignition???? Anyone ever experience this? I've been reading a lot of forums and see this vehicle has major recalls. Not ready for a dealer visit yet but taking it all in so that I can go. Contacted previous owner and she said while driving down the highway, the vehicle just stopped running ... NO lights on dash... NO warnings? WHAT THA WHAT I SAY?????? Any help appreciated!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ninamg7
I've been reading a lot of forums and see this vehicle has major recalls.
I'm not sure what kind of recalls you are referring to, but I wouldn't call the two or three recalls "major".

As far as no start condition, if you have spark, check fuel, compression, timing. I find it hard to believe that PO did not do some diagnostics with a mechanic before giving up on a vehicle and selling it if it just stopped running once on the road. You will have to ether take it to a mechanic to do the work, or do it yourself and go system by system to verify operation. Unfortunately it sounds like if there were any trouble codes, you've lost them due to having a bad battery in it.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:08 AM

Thanks for reply hunterD, dealer diagnostic on Monday. .. will update the findings later.