Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2002 Montero Limited new to me owner question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2018, 09:07 AM
Default 2002 Montero Limited new to me owner question

Good morning to you all,

New member, and new to me Montero owner.
Its a 2002 limited with 160,000 miles on her.
It seems a lot was done at 100,000 miles including:
Transmission fluid changed
Rear brakes serviced/adjusted
Antifreeze/coolant flushed/changed
Rear differential fluid flushed/changed
PCV valve replaced
Cooling system serviced
Power steering fluid flushed/changed
Air filter replaced
Cabin air filter replaced/cleaned
Battery serviced
Tires rotated
Steering/suspension lubricated
Wheel bearings repacked
A/C and heating system checked
Spark plug(s) replaced
Front differential fluid flushed/changed
Oil and filter changed
Throttle body cleaned/serviced
Brake pads replaced
Brake fluid flushed/changed
Transfer case fluid flushed/changed

The timing belt done at 135,000...but by a secondary shop. A little concerning.

My question is this...what should I do now (besides an oil and filter change) to ensure she keeps on rolling for awhile.
I would at least like to get 200,000 miles out it.
It seems that the front and rear differentials should be changed, as well as the transfer case...since its been about 60,000 miles.
Anything else that needs immediate attention?

Thanks so much for all the help in advance. I truly appreciate it.
I look forward to learning a lot from everyone!

Old 08-02-2018, 12:53 AM

Congrats on a great find. It sounds like your Monti has just about everything taking care of. I'd just do engine oil change, oil filter and air filter. Check oil in both differentials and in the transfer case. If they are at proper level and oil looks good - no need to replace it. If oil looks old or contaminated - service those units. One item i did not see on your list is valve cover gaskets. Take a look (especially on the back of the heads) to see if they leak oil. If they do - replace them. Its a fairly straight forward procedure. Other than that, if its not broken - don't fix it

Old 08-02-2018, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Congrats on a great find. It sounds like your Monti has just about everything taking care of. I'd just do engine oil change, oil filter and air filter. Check oil in both differentials and in the transfer case. If they are at proper level and oil looks good - no need to replace it. If oil looks old or contaminated - service those units. One item i did not see on your list is valve cover gaskets. Take a look (especially on the back of the heads) to see if they leak oil. If they do - replace them. Its a fairly straight forward procedure. Other than that, if its not broken - don't fix it

Thank you SO much for the response and help! I really appreciate it.
I'll check on the fluid levels and color of the differentials...it seems the valve cover gaskets have been replaced at 140,000 miles, so I guess I am good on that as well.
What about the rear cams? I thought I read somewhere that the o rings inside tend to leak...and with 160,000 miles, maybe I should replace them?

Old 08-06-2018, 01:39 AM

There is one o-ring seal on the back of drivers side head on the camshaft position sensor. That could be leaking and is an easy and cheap fix. Two bolts hold CPS to the head. Just make sure the engine is cold when you work on that area. It is very tight and you'll be jamming your hand right up against the engine.

Old 08-06-2018, 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
There is one o-ring seal on the back of drivers side head on the camshaft position sensor. That could be leaking and is an easy and cheap fix. Two bolts hold CPS to the head. Just make sure the engine is cold when you work on that area. It is very tight and you'll be jamming your hand right up against the engine.
Thanks....I'll check on the cps o-rings and report back. I appreciate all the guidance and help.

Old 08-15-2018, 12:16 PM

Congrats on owning a Montero. I own a 2002 with over 200,000 miles and it is still going strong. So far, few items have needed replacement other than the usual maintenance items. Do your maintenance on this vehicle and it will serve you well. We used to do a fair bit of off roading and the Monte handled everything that was thrown at it with ease. Mountain roads, mud, beach sand and everything in between - the 4-wheel drive handled it all. I do wish that Mitsubishi would have used an upgraded leather on the front seats. I am currently looking at seat covers or replacing the original leather as it has cracked and looks pretty bad. Doesn't stop the wife from driving it though.