Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

2003 MONTERO SPORT p0300 PROBLEMS

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by HunterD
Having an injector unplugged could be one of the contributing causes to getting those codes prior to the disassembly.
If you are getting oil in the plug wells with new seals - remove valve covers and check the sealing surfaces to make sure you don't have a piece of old seal stuck there on the mating surface creating a gap and causing the leak.

I agree with Larry - run a full compression. With the plenum off, it is the best time to do it.

As far as checking timing, the only way to do it is to visually inspect alignment of the marks on crank shaft and both cam shafts. Make sure you have a small mirror and look perpendicular to the belt (in line with the teeth on the gear) for he marks aligning with the ones on the engine case. Just eyeballing it from the top will not work due to parallax error.
....a little late to check compression, but now that i have removed /replaced the plenum successfully i'm not sweating the 1.5 hours to take it off again. Got my plugs, wires, filter and gasket in and still the P0300. I'm using TORQUE to get my info and this is all the freeze frame data it's givng me.
ENGINE LOAD 40%
COOLANT TEMP 172.4
FTB1 ST 16.41
FTB1 LT 0
FTB2 ST 12.5
FTB2 LT0
RPM 2132.75
SPEED 47.85 MPH
TIMING ADVANCE 42 DEGREES
INTAKE AIR TEMP 57.2
MAF RATE 23.26 G/S
THROTTLE POS 14.12%
I have a feeling its boiling down to a timing or a clogged exaust/cat issue but my hunches have only cost me money and time so far...!!! good times

Old 01-22-2019, 08:39 PM

Did you check timing while you had plenum off?
It's hard to say what you are dealing with here. Your fuel trims are up, but not extraordinary, so it's not setting a "Lean" code. However, Short Term trims at 16 and 12% mean that there is need for extra fuel. What is surprising to me - your Long Term FTs are still at 0. Did it say anywhere in FF data if engine is running in "Open Loop" or "Closed Loop"? Does your software/app provide live data stream? If so, there are couple things that can be checked too.