Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4WD and AntiLock light coming on frequently?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 04:44 AM
Default 4WD and AntiLock light coming on frequently?

Hey guys and gals, I'm brand new to the forum and this is my first post. I've got an issue with my 2000 Montero Sport that's been bothering me for a while and I'd like to get some opinions on the matter.

At very random times, although somewhat frequently the green "Four Wheel Drive" light will pop on my dashboard display, even though I'm not in 4wd. Does anyone have any idea why this happens?

The same thing happens with the ABS "ANTI LOCK" light.

I haven't noticed any changes in driving or braking, and I'm hoping it's not something major. Thanks in advance for any insight provided.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:41 PM

Welcome to the forums, Dirtz. Hope you stick around for a while.

I don't think you're the first person who's had this issue pop up. There are switches on the transmission (actually, the transfer case) that tell you when you're in 4WD and one of these could be bad, or shorted, and sending a false signal. Crawl underneath and trace the wires and check out their condition. Make sure there is no broken or frayed insulation or connections.

A problem with the ABS should produce an error code that you can read or get read at many reputable auto parts stores. That should tell you where to look. In the absence of a code, check your brake fluid first (good idea to do that anyway), then your electronic connections to the ABS modulator and control unit. The control unit is in the engine compartment behind the right rear quarter trim panel. Each wheel has a speed sensor attached to it; it may be a loose connection at one of these points.

That's assuming that these are two separate unrelated issues. It's also possible that everything is fine with each unit and a short exists somewhere closer to your light panel, but I doubt that very much as these signals exist as separate circuits and are unlikely to interact.

So, go check the first things first and see if you find anything amiss...

Last edited by mothman52; 04-28-2011 at 08:21 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the response...I'll check those things out.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:20 PM

Judging from your handle, both your sensors should be covered with lots of muck

Old 05-18-2011, 01:47 AM

Hi, I'm having the Same Problem too !!! the 4wd keeps flashing and the abs just starts ... and ... when i turn the car off it turns off, but the 4wd light actually usually keeps on flashing ...
I'm gonna try what you suggested even though i'll probably need a dictionary to get to everything > but will do :P .