Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

4x4 gear indicator light not working on dash.

Old 06-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Default 4x4 gear indicator light not working on dash.

Hey everyone, first post to this forum. I own 3 mitsu's one 97 galant, 94 diamante and now a 01 montero. The monteros 4x4 indicator on the dash was working. I noticed when in 2h the back 2 wheels lit up green that was fine, and then when i put it in 4h, or 4l, only the front two would light, sometimes it would flash, and then become solid, but the rear wheels wouldnt light up or the center diff. Now I put it back in 2h, and now the rear wheels dont light up, what could be the problem. Can I drive the car like this? I have to take a 3 hour drive this weekend. The car feels fine, shifts fine no problems, but it annoys me and I know its not supposed to be like that. Also my brakes vibrate, going to get it checked tomorrow. I just purchased this car so is there anything I should look out for, the car runs extremely smooth and soild. Thanks everyone.

Old 06-22-2005, 03:21 AM
Default RE: 4x4 gear indicator light not working on dash.

I got it fixed it was the bulb in the dash

Old 06-22-2005, 10:33 AM
pc
Default RE: 4x4 gear indicator light not working on dash.

From what you desribed in the original post it appears to be more than just a bulb. Did the dealer just replace "a" bulb? The 4X4 indicator light problem is a common one on Montero's other than just dash bulbs. It relates to the switches that tell the lights of the gear change. Sometimes, from what I've read, there could also be water in the vacuum line that engages the front differential. That problem seems to be just to use it more.

I have had a center diff indicator light problem for a while now. It signals hi and lo lock. The light will not stop blinking, indicating no lock, but I know the transfer case is locked. I have tried to figure out which switch controls that light but have not been able to determine that yet. The postion of the switches makes it impossible to access them easily, if at all, without dropping the transfer case. I have tried crawling under the vehicle but the access is impossible and visability difficult. If anyone out there can tell me which transfer case switch controls the Hi and lo lock center orange dash light I would appreciate greatly. The dealer parts blowup does not help and my factory manual wiring diagram is confusing as well.