Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

89 choke service and fuel sending unit.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:50 PM
Default 89 choke service and fuel sending unit.

1989 SWB Montero with gasoline 2.6 NA.
1. The choke on the carb seems to stay on, more when cold, but pretty random. I've read countless write ups on possible problems, and it sounds like this is a pretty standard problem with mikuni carb from that car. The choke has coolant lines that run a type of thermostat on the back of the carb itself. It isn't controlled by a sensor in radiator or thermo housing. The lines get clogged or the thermo stat starts to fail and choke stays on. Has anyone services this themselves? Is it simply removing the lines and cleaning housing etc? It's driving me crazy because I'm down to about 8-10 mpg with choke closed 85 percent of time.
2. My fuel gauge is shot. Has anyone changed the fuel sending unit on same car. It look to me like the fuel sending unit is on the front of the tank, not the top, and should be accessible from under car. Looks like it should slide out toward the front. I wanna make sure this is write before I start. I guess I could buy a service manual, but hoping someone has done this. Best, thanks.