Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Oil pressure sending unit 1999 Montero Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 PM
Default Oil pressure sending unit 1999 Montero Sport

Today I installed a new oil pressure sending unit sold by Beck Arnley, BA2010551, oil pressure switch. Gauge doesn't work. I made a test, when I grounded the cable that goes connected to the sending unit and turn the key switch to on like if I were to turn the engine on, the oil light at the dash board is completedly lit and the gauge needle goes all the way to the right. I don't know if this is ok but normally in a car without an oil gauge , like a 2001 mirage i have, the oil light goes on just before turning on the engine, because the oil switch is grounded. As soon as the oil pressure rises, it is not grounded anymore, thus, oil light goes off.
What I don't understand in this Monty , I connected the electrical cable back to the sending unit ( by the way it is only one cable) why when I turn the key just before turning the engine on, the oil light at the dash board remains off when it is supposed to goes on?
Still don't understand how this system works only with one cable. I measured the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge and readings are ok. I think I will replace that sending unit for a regular oil switch and forget about the gauge.

Old 08-18-2011, 03:00 PM

Another question I have:

I read somewhere that an extra oil pressure switch for the oil pressure lamp should be installed besides the oil pressure sender. Is this info correct?

I am asking because the there is only one sensor (the sender) connected just on top of the oil filter, at the base, just above where the filter make contact.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:33 PM

Here is a picture of the oil pressure sender recently installed. Other info I found states that there should be another oil switch connected used for the oil light. Any comments regarding this is welcome.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pressure sending unit 1999 Montero Sport-dsc07282.jpg  
Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 PM

Well, with too many Montero Sports still rolling around on the streets, apparently nobody can tell me if both , the oil light and the oil gauge work at the same time. It only takes one minute to find that out. If somebody could tell me, I'll appreciate it.

Procedure:
1- Turn the key to on without turning engine on, check the oil light if lits and gauge must be with the needle should not read any oil pressure.

2- Turn engine on and oil light must go off and oil pressure gauge must read oil pressure

That is all the info I need to know if both systems work at the same time or not.

I am asking because for me it is not understandable how an older vehicule like a 1989 Isuzu Trooper with both systems work at the same time ALSO with only one cable connected to the oil pressure sender and a 10 years newer vehicule like a my 1999 Montero Sport don't.

For some reason when I turn the switch to on, oil light doesn't turn on and when turning on engine sometimes oil light turns on faintly (that means bulb is OK) when I suddenly accelerate engine and of course, oil gauge doesn't read any oil pressure.

I am sure there must be something in between that controls the sender and oil light to work like they are supposed to but apparently there is no one who knows this info, no capable electromechanic who can help me. Thanks for the guys who's seen this thread. Have a nice day.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:16 PM

Admin, you may close this thread since no one have any clue about this problem I have.

Old 09-13-2014, 03:13 PM

Still waiting for a response. When I ground the oil sender cable, oil warning light lits and oil gauge needle goes all the way to the end. Is it normal?