Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

90 montero motor swap options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM
Default 90 montero motor swap options?

i have this 90 montero sport 2 door. its my dads and he loves the dang thing so much that he just wont get rid of it. it has 265000 miles on the original 3.0 v6 and it smokes like crazy. the compression is just barely over 100 so it actually fires and runs. it has a 2 inch lift and 10 x 31 inch tires on low offset wheels that stick way out the side and it was a pretty good looking rig until it went over a mail box (me) and deer (my stepmom) a skunk (me again) and a rabbit that subsequently ended in a ditch incident (my dad). so its got high miles, it smokes, its beat up, and its killed the entire cast of bambi. why does he still want it? i have no freaking clue. but here in lies my question... that v6 isnt gonna run much longer. its been running on borrowed time for at least 100k. what are my options for a motor swap? i know that the same motor was in the dodge caravan. is this a viable swap? is the stub shaft on the crank different? if i get one from an auto fwd caravan will it go into this 4wd manual montero? are there any other options? how hard is it to find the diesel from the pajero (with lines, tank, ecu, the whole 9)? so there are a few questions... any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 AM

Do a search for 4.3 liter engine swap in a Montero. There are a couple of places on line with information regarding the installation of a GM 4.3 V6 and running gear into a 2-dr Montero.

Occasionally imported Mitsu diesels pop up on Ebay, but they usually run in the $3,000 range.

The easiest option is probably to pull the original engine and rebuild it, which would be easier than going with a non-OEM engine. You could also find a lower-mileage engine at a salvage yard and rebuild it so you can still use the vehicle.