Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

97 Montero SR Battery Drain

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 04:18 PM
Default 97 Montero SR Battery Drain

Hello,

I have found lots of useful information on this forum since buying my 97 Montero SR this summer. I bought it dirt cheap because the truck was in rough condition. I could tell it had been sitting for a while. Among other things, I had new valve cover gaskets, plugs & wires, brakes all around, exhaust manifold, and heater core installed.

My fiance is driving the truck and on cold mornings (or evenings) the truck refuses to start. The first time the lights in the cabin came on, the car turned over once, then died. The second time the lights came on, but it would not turn over at all. Now this last time no lights came on and the car would not turn over at all again. It seems to be after cold nights and after the car has been sitting for a (relatively) long time (more than 24 hours). She has been careful about not leaving lights on or anything like that. One night I kept the truck at my house and did leave the light on (go figure) but the truck started fine in the morning.

I have had the battery and alternator tested at two separate places (auto zone and advance) and both said the battery is fine and the alternator is strong. The advance guy thought it might be the starter but since this last time no lights came on at all, I figure something must be draining the battery.

Any ideas how I could go about looking for shorts in the electrical system that could be draining the battery. I have very limited automotive knowledge (if I have not proved that already) but I do have a (Haynes) repair manual and a willingness to ask for help and learn. Any ideas or advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Ryan - Chicago Area
97 Montero SR 3.5