Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Another timing belt question

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Default Another timing belt question

Hello and thanks for letting me post here. I'm a first timer posting here been reading for awhile. OK here my question with all the info I can think of.

Just completed a timing belt change last night 12/14/11 took me a little 6 hours for the very first time I can see how it should take less time now after doing it... I replaced everything Timing belt, Water pump, idlers, tensioner, cam seals and acc belts. crank seal was dry as a bone so I did not change it.

Not sure if it has been done before I bought it with 158,000 and the old belt looked fair. the idlers and water pump looked well past their prime.

ok when I was pulling off the HB the timing gear was so stuck to it it pull out as well. yep broke the plastic cover in two spots JB weld it nice.

however when it did this it mess up my timing which i had set before removing the HB. I go it religned up however heres my question..

the cam sprockets on the driver side it not centered in the V of the timing mark the other left side is perfect and so is the crankshaft. here a example (not if i move the belt one notch does not line up on the left side nor the crank shaft the right side then is off center to the left but still inside the V

Cam Cam
V V
I I

Crank
/
o

ok sorry best drawing a can make.

it started fine runs great idle through throttle however when under load at idle like a stop light it feels to run rough if i put it in N or P cleans up to a purr. nothing at higher speeds. today for work I drove it over 230miles gas mileage is about the same 20.7 today before Timing belt 20.5 just wondering if under load idle could be my timing is off. I was told by a shop Non Mitsubishi that if I was one notch off they doubted it would even run?? is that correct??? i hate to tear it all apart again to fine nothing... plus the wifes car a forester is line up for me to put a timing belt in this weekend. getting sick of these belts LOL.

I also noted tonight that even though the engine sound smooth at no load idle the engine does have alot of vibration just I could not tell you what it was like before.....

Thanks for any info and sorry if my post makes me sound like a moron...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:51 PM
Default more info sorry

Forgot to add its a 2000 sport with a 3l sorry late night after a 13 hour day

Old 12-17-2011, 04:57 AM

your cam timing is off you need to redo the belt

Old 12-19-2011, 05:59 PM

Thanks you were correct took over a day the first time. redid it in 3 1/2 hours so this wont be a horible thing next time. many thanks

Old 12-19-2011, 07:40 PM

glad i could help