Any high mile Montys out there?? - Page 10 - Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums

Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Default Ladymitsu

I have a 2000 Montero Sport it's got 188 thousand.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 AM

Default Ohhh yesss 317k

I own a 2001 Montero XLS with 317,xxx miles on it. My mom bought it in 2005 and then my dad owned it for about 3 years. And in those 3 years. It went thru a lot. My dad did not treat it good. But then I got it and it is still running. Almost died on is but I was able to keep it breathing. It is an amazing car that never gets stuck anywhere. It’s heavy af and has been in about 3 accidents and doesn’t have any major body damage. Struggle at higher speeds than 85 and has annoying brake noise, plus leaks oil. Other than that it still runs good. And I use it as a daily.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 PM

I have a 1990 Montero, 208k miles runs strong put now the pulley came loose after the pin broke off in the crank. Can I drill it out of the crankshaft and put in a new pin? It runs super strong and even rated as a “green” car on th smog test. I do not want to have to rebuild it just because of the pin.

kevin
Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 AM

Default 01Montero Sport LS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdvyas20 View Post
How many miles is your Montero?What year?How reliable?Pls share your opinions, i am just curious.
I have 198500 on mine. No internal issues, doesn't burn oil. Have replaced the TPS, MAF, IAC, plugs wires and the normal and, 7 yes, count them 7 alternators.
Other than trying to get my idle under control, which is probably an exhaust leak or not enough back pressure I haven't had any real problems or issues.
I have installed a cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust, ported/polished TB and intake, have two DC batts in the rear W/ a 3000/6000w inverter, a few sets of lights, a little winch up fnt, all int lights are led blue, have a dual spiraled coil springs in rear with spring asst shocks, front spring asst shocks and torsion bars tweaked as much as I want or brave enough to which sits nicely above 285 75 16's I'd say about 4" in rear and 3" in front. Oh yeah, can't forget the custom camo paint lol
Happy Trails!
Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM

Default 2001 with 222k runs fine even with mysterious disconnected wire in engine compartment

Recently acquired a 2001 Montero (non-sport) Limited that works surprisingly well...no leaks, 4WD seems to work well, AC, power "stuff" (windows, seats, moonroof, etc.) all works. I went ahead and changed the timing belt and plugs because I had no idea how well it had been taken care of, but that all went smoothly.

Really the only problem I have it that it stumbles and sometimes misfires for a minute or so when cold...unless it is really cold enough to make the idle higher at start up, then it is fine. There are no codes or anything, so the only thing I can think of is a mysterious disconnected wire in the engine compartment. It is on the driver side at the front of the engine and is yellow with a silver trace (single pin). I thought it must go to a temp sensor, but I think I have both temp sensors plugged in. I've attached a picture in case someone says, "hey, I recognize that!".

So if anyone can identify my mysterious floppy wire, I'd appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
Any high mile Montys out there??-monty-mystery-wire.jpg  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Thanks for accepting me as a new member. I have recently purchased my friends 1988 2-door Montero with 206k. He bought it new off the lot. I have one critical issue. The exhaust manifold is cracked and leaking. I am having the hardest time locating one new or used. Can anyone help me? I've searched for 2.6L manifolds. Any other suggestions? Thank you.