Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Any high mile Montys out there??

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 08:35 PM
Default Ladymitsu

I have a 2000 Montero Sport it's got 188 thousand.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:20 AM
Default Ohhh yesss 317k

I own a 2001 Montero XLS with 317,xxx miles on it. My mom bought it in 2005 and then my dad owned it for about 3 years. And in those 3 years. It went thru a lot. My dad did not treat it good. But then I got it and it is still running. Almost died on is but I was able to keep it breathing. It is an amazing car that never gets stuck anywhere. It’s heavy af and has been in about 3 accidents and doesn’t have any major body damage. Struggle at higher speeds than 85 and has annoying brake noise, plus leaks oil. Other than that it still runs good. And I use it as a daily.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:25 PM

I have a 1990 Montero, 208k miles runs strong put now the pulley came loose after the pin broke off in the crank. Can I drill it out of the crankshaft and put in a new pin? It runs super strong and even rated as a “green” car on th smog test. I do not want to have to rebuild it just because of the pin.

kevin

Old 09-21-2018, 07:16 AM
Default 01Montero Sport LS

Originally Posted by cdvyas20
How many miles is your Montero?What year?How reliable?Pls share your opinions, i am just curious.
I have 198500 on mine. No internal issues, doesn't burn oil. Have replaced the TPS, MAF, IAC, plugs wires and the normal and, 7 yes, count them 7 alternators.
Other than trying to get my idle under control, which is probably an exhaust leak or not enough back pressure I haven't had any real problems or issues.
I have installed a cold air intake, magnaflow exhaust, ported/polished TB and intake, have two DC batts in the rear W/ a 3000/6000w inverter, a few sets of lights, a little winch up fnt, all int lights are led blue, have a dual spiraled coil springs in rear with spring asst shocks, front spring asst shocks and torsion bars tweaked as much as I want or brave enough to which sits nicely above 285 75 16's I'd say about 4" in rear and 3" in front. Oh yeah, can't forget the custom camo paint lol
Happy Trails!

Old 10-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Default 2001 with 222k runs fine even with mysterious disconnected wire in engine compartment

Recently acquired a 2001 Montero (non-sport) Limited that works surprisingly well...no leaks, 4WD seems to work well, AC, power "stuff" (windows, seats, moonroof, etc.) all works. I went ahead and changed the timing belt and plugs because I had no idea how well it had been taken care of, but that all went smoothly.

Really the only problem I have it that it stumbles and sometimes misfires for a minute or so when cold...unless it is really cold enough to make the idle higher at start up, then it is fine. There are no codes or anything, so the only thing I can think of is a mysterious disconnected wire in the engine compartment. It is on the driver side at the front of the engine and is yellow with a silver trace (single pin). I thought it must go to a temp sensor, but I think I have both temp sensors plugged in. I've attached a picture in case someone says, "hey, I recognize that!".

So if anyone can identify my mysterious floppy wire, I'd appreciate it!

Attached Thumbnails Any high mile Montys out there??-monty-mystery-wire.jpg  
Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 PM

Thanks for accepting me as a new member. I have recently purchased my friends 1988 2-door Montero with 206k. He bought it new off the lot. I have one critical issue. The exhaust manifold is cracked and leaking. I am having the hardest time locating one new or used. Can anyone help me? I've searched for 2.6L manifolds. Any other suggestions? Thank you.

Old 12-20-2018, 09:49 PM

1989 3.0 6G72 with 283,000. Still going. I do my own maintenance and repairs.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:31 PM
Default 225k

Just bought a 2000 MS with 225k for $700. It’s not pretty but everything works. Runs good. Just needs an IAC which is on order for $22 from Amazon. Did 1000 miles in it this week and it didn’t skip a beat. AC works great. No idea about the history of it.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM

I have a 1995, with 200k. I have no real background with auto repairs. I think I'm in need of a basic tuneup, but the mechanic quoted me $1100 to get spark plugs and check the timing belt. After a little online search I'm realizing why changing spark plugs is getting such a high quote.

I just joined and I'm looking to get my hands dirty. If I can put some learn some tricks and get this car up and running I'll be ecstatic. I had plans of turning it into a little bit of an overlanding/weekend camping vehicle, put some new tires on it and then everything went south.

Wish me luck. I'm hoping to get a repair manual here in the next week.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM

Replacing the spark plugs on Montero is more difficult than in most cars, but it's not a brain surgery. You should be able to locate a manual for your year/model (helps to know which bolts/parts to remove in what order) and with few basic tools should be able to do it yourself. Checking timing belt involves just removing two plastic covers on the front of the engine to see the belt's condition. Replacing timing belt is more difficult and should be attempted only if you are comfortable and had some experience with timing belts.

Quick Reply: Any high mile Montys out there??