Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Any high mile Montys out there??

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 04:59 AM

265,000 on my 1997 Sport. It's not my daily driver anymore so the mileage should slow down but it's still doing fine. Anyone looking for a set of factory 2000 Montero Sport manuals, I have a extra set. Contact me at killerbombo@aim.com

Mark

Old 03-03-2019, 03:53 PM
Default 214k Miles!!

This my second Gen3 Montero. First one died in a head on crash with 140k on it. This second one I got is a 2001 LTD with 214k on it. Got it from a mechanic for $1200! Runs pretty dam good. Excited to keep it running for a long time.

Old 05-09-2019, 08:25 PM
Thumbs up

Just became a 2003 Monty Limited 20th Anniversary owner. 1 owner with 261K miles! Still runs great but needs a water pump and timing belt to get her back to everyday driving.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:18 PM

I've got a '91 RS that we bought new and put 145,000 on. I sold it (for some stupid reason) then bought it back with 180,000 miles on it. It was rarely driven and my wife always loved it so now I'm trying to work all the bugs out of it after roughly 20 years of doing little more than sitting around. Poor thing needed everything, and still trying to work out why it's only getting 12 MPG. It was twice that when I sold it. Cleaned out the fuel system, new injectors, plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Ideas anyone?

Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Allthetimeintheworld
I've got a '91 RS that we bought new and put 145,000 on. I sold it (for some stupid reason) then bought it back with 180,000 miles on it. It was rarely driven and my wife always loved it so now I'm trying to work all the bugs out of it after roughly 20 years of doing little more than sitting around. Poor thing needed everything, and still trying to work out why it's only getting 12 MPG. It was twice that when I sold it. Cleaned out the fuel system, new injectors, plugs, wires, rotor and cap. Ideas anyone?
All the time......Greetings. Thats the spirit.....buying back your old 91 and restoring it. I have a few 94 Monteros, and am working on all of them, with one now in pretty nice condition. Scratching my head as to why youre getting poor gas mileage. Have you checked the brakes to ensure that they are not beginning to seize? Rubbing brakes will devestate your gas mileage. Also, have you taken the throttle body off and done a thorough cleaning? Some guys only spray throttle body cleaner into the butterfly, but I think its best to remove and clean on the inside of the butterfly also. Is it possible that the "overdrive" is not working, and its not shifting up into 4th?

Post some pics of your rig, and the specific areas your working on.
Good luck with it.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Sorry Studebaker, after reading your reply I realized how badly I'd shorted you on information. It sat in a field for the longest time, so I completely redid the brakes including new soft lines, and repacked the bearings. Sadly it looks like I was the last one to repack them (keeping in mind that was 20 years ago). All four tires now spin easily when off the ground, that was a good thought though. In cleaning the fuel system, everything in the tank was a rusty mess. The pump and sending unit were nearly rusted off. I've cleaned out the rust and descaled it pretty well. I did a tear-down cleaning on the throttle body when I pulled it and the fuel rail (cleaned as well) to replace the injectors. Everything is so easy to work on on the '91 that I've gone in and rechecked that work. I did by-the-book ignition timing after replacing the ignition parts. That at least made it run smoother. Maybe I need to go through the fuel system again.

I was wondering if the O2 sensor(s?) was bad (never been replaced that I know of), or a blocked up muffler or something else underneath may be the problem. Moisture from being out in all weathers and rarely to never driven really took its toll. I never got the hang of reading codes on it, so I haven't tried that yet.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM

All the time.......OK, thats some good info you just gave. Thats a good idea you have about the O2 sensor......could be sending bad data to the computer causing it to run way too rich, and terrible gas mileage. Also could be a blocked up CATROSTROPHIC Converter, which would mess everything up.

Another thought......Is there a specific fuel pump pressure requried? What if you had a fuel pump that was pushing fuel too hard? Is there a pressure sensor that reduces this excess fuel pump pressure, and if its bad, would you be pushing fuel too hard/too fast to the injectors???? Just a crazy thought.

Of course, you already vacuumed the mice nests out of the air filter......so, its not a clogged air filter.
Let us know what you finally discover, as I would be interested to know the outcome.

Old 05-21-2019, 09:14 PM
Default 2 Monteros 2001 and 2003

I bought the 2001 first and about a year an a half later a 2003 20th Anniversary came up for sale. I am a little disappointed with the engine leaks on both Monteros and an issue that every one is aware of with the multiple cracks in the exhaust manifolds.. other than that I am pretty happy with the 2003. Thinking about buying a 2012 from Mexico and possibly get a permit to drive it back and forth... oh yeah they keep making them in Mexico but the nice shape of the Montero line ended with the newer 2013..

Old 05-28-2019, 05:00 PM

I am doing head gaskets on a 2001 Limited has a little over 211,000 on the clock

Old 05-29-2019, 09:23 AM

Well they do tend to have more mileage on the odo. Thats enough in itself to see people unloading them. I know we all say we dont believe everything we see,hear or read, but most of us do it knowing better and this topic is a good example of it. "False assumptions"You /we cannot believe everything we read and in this case assumptions are being made about these and other vehicles with the flimsiest of evidence which are prone,and not limited to bias,ignorance and/or plain deceit (aka agendas) as in salesmen,reporters etc. The rollover issue may be one of the examples by apparently leaving out critical information so as to purposely or in error manipulate the perception.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 05-29-2019 at 09:40 AM. Reason: Because I have serious composition flaws when posting anything

Quick Reply: Any high mile Montys out there??