Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Burnt insulation odor from a/c vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2006, 06:21 PM
Default Burnt insulation odor from a/c vents

The theory of "threes". Wheel bearing first, now suddenly, while waiting for a light in traffic, a strong odor of "electric fire" (no smoke) coming from the a/c vents. I pulled over and looked under the hood - slight odor of the same under the hood, but man is it strong when I run the a/c. The Montee never did this before. Any ideas? I'm nervous about parking in my garage tonight so the ideas would be most appreciated and maybe life-saving. (2002 full-size Montero, LXS, 4x4, 64k mi with new $1200 wheel bearing

Went out to check the problem. If anything unpleasant was going to happen, I didn't want to be sleeping when it happened in the garage under my bedroom. Went for it. Engine on, turned the a/c up and fan on full. Smell got real strong for about 10 seconds, figured the problem was going to show itself soon, there was a sudden clicking sound under the hood - maybe from the compressor clutch - so I shut everything down. Started the a/c up again. Smell dissipated almost immediately. No clicking sound. No smell. Cooling nicely. All back to normal - so I believe.

Went out 30 minutes later and ran the a/c at full twist again - all good. No problems, noises or smells??????

?????
?????

Old 09-03-2006, 03:06 AM
Default RE: Burnt insulation odor from a/c vents

May still be something wrong and that was just the initial signs of it. I hope now but you never know. Would be a good idea to have your AC electrical parts checked out.

Also, if you've recently installed any modifications on anything (radio, compressor, anything...) it may have messed something up so check that first.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:13 AM
Banned

i think the smell was the compressor clutch

Old 09-03-2006, 11:34 PM

Thank you off roader and Sebba.

No new electrical parts have been added. Matter of fact, only significant work was the wheel bearing - sorry about the continuing reference to that. Would the "burning" odor be so strong "inside" what seems to be the vent system if the compressor clutch stuck. I would think it would smell stronger under the hood where the serpentine belt would smoke up rather than what appears to be inside the vent system which dumps into the passenger compartment. Just curious.

Also, what would cause a compressor clutch to stick or freeze up?