Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

cataclean & passing Calif smog tests

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM
Default cataclean & passing Calif smog tests

cataclean Instructions
Follow directions on bottle
1- 1 qt 1/4 to 3/4 tank gas
2- drive 10-15 min
3- refuel
QUESTIONS
1/4 of 10 gal tank appears to be a vastly different solution ratio than 1/4 of a 20 gal tank yet that wide ratio difference is what the bottle ,in essence,recommends.
. TEN gal tank: 1 qt for 2.5 to 7.5 gal.
Twenty ..........1 qt for 5 to 15 gal
These recommended fuel dilution ratios are actually so vastly different ,I would suspect the results after smog test would be as different in pass / fail results.
That may account for some of the mixed results customers report .

Automatically we assume a stronger dilution rate of one quarter tank might be "better" for results than the more dilute 3/4 tank.
Really ,we simply assume that and dont really know ....guessing

Lastly one would follow up with the following "drive Cycle" at this website
https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...tors-Not-Ready

Old 09-26-2017, 10:02 AM

To answer your question...it is indeed a vastly different solution ratio. Maybe it would still work at that ratio.
Anyways,Cataclean would only work if your fuel system/catayltic converter is not faulty. If there is a faulty component then it will still fail smog no matter how concentrated your mixture is. I had a friend who used Cataclean on his montero thinking it would pass smog after using the product..still failed. His catalytic converters are blocked with so much dirt. Still,it’s worth trying... doesn’t cost much compared to replacing your cats.

Old 09-26-2017, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by carlsson01
Anyways,Cataclean would only work if your fuel system/catayltic converter is not faulty. If there is a faulty component then it will still fail smog no matter how concentrated your mixture is.
Still,it’s worth trying... doesn’t cost much compared to replacing your cats.
My mechanic said customers get mixed results.Ill flip a coin and go with" more (higher concentration)is better. Im not going to add cataclean at the higher dilute ratio(weaker concentration) that my 20 gal tank would have but go with the ratio of a 10 gal car instead(stronger concentration).
Ill do the montero sport drive cycle .( link provided in my original post)
I wonder, if it fails,maybe Ill follow that up with a sea foam Rx into to PVC and gas tank . 1-Drive around 15 mi,2-reset by repeating the drive cycle again.Anecdotal evidence is given,on this forum for sea foam, I think,for that Rx too. $50 a recheck .... Hmmm,well , then its cat replacement if it all fails ,Like you said "worth the try if it wrks.Darn I shoulda bought and tried to learn how to ck it muself.No time now. Ill probably just wait until a week befor the next smog test requirement in 2 yrs like I am doing now.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 09-26-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 04:19 PM

BTW has anyone failed a cat test(not o2 sensors etc),but just the cat and tried the Sea foam Rx into the pvc and fuel tank? Name your state when you reply. Im primarily interested in Cal cars,but others might be interested in the other states testing.
Isnt Joell on this forum? I sure hope he sees my entire post and pitches in . Negative or postive,doesnt hurt my feelings. In this, I can handle the truth.

Last edited by PalmSprings; 09-27-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by PalmSprings
My mechanic said customers get mixed results.Ill flip a coin and go with" more (higher concentration)is better. Im not going to add cataclean at the higher dilute ratio(weaker concentration) that my 20 gal tank would have but go with the ratio of a 10 gal car instead(stronger concentration).
Ill do the montero sport drive cycle .( link provided in my original post)
I wonder, if it fails,maybe Ill follow that up with a sea foam Rx into to PVC and gas tank . 1-Drive around 15 mi,2-reset by repeating the drive cycle again.Anecdotal evidence is given,on this forum for sea foam, I think,for that Rx too. $50 a recheck .... Hmmm,well , then its cat replacement if it all fails ,Like you said "worth the try if it wrks.Darn I shoulda bought and tried to learn how to ck it muself.No time now. Ill probably just wait until a week befor the next smog test requirement in 2 yrs like I am doing now.
11.9.19 update
Ya know I called the tech today,at cataclean, and inspite of the concentration issue,he stuck by the 16 oz per 4g (about) He cant go off the reservation and say different as i expected. That is the maintenance dose to be used Q3 or 4 months,so I wouldnt expect that would be enough to clean any vehicle with high mileage and has laid out deposits that may be responsible for the failed cat. That may not even be the cause. There is no damage on simple basic physical inspection. I havent checked the pressure differential of the fore and aft of the cat either for obstructions. Need a pressure gauge for that. Maybe later! Wish there were tests done that showed the trend of concentration and volume of cataclean and gas it took to clean any given quantity of deposits in the cat screen. I asked and he said no. Probably wasnt of enough benefit going to the effort/cost to do those tests,due to a multitude of variables,so they simply were contented enough for us to use their product as a maintenance solution. Just hang on here,my eyes are beginning to glaze over too. Forget it! Ive had it,Im going to stop here.
JIC you may want to drill the techs I had trouble locating the ph OL so here it is 209 781 9741 central

Last edited by PalmSprings; 11-09-2017 at 03:15 PM.