Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Help - need your advice

Old 08-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Default Help - need your advice

I just purchased a 2003 Mitsubishi Montero XLS from a dealer three days ago and I don't know if I should keep it or take it back (they gave me until tonight to return it if I don't like it). The car is in good physical shape, but I believe there is a problem with the 4WD. When I switch from 2WD to 4WD the two front wheels green lights start blinking and keep blinking without stopping. The manual says that the car is in the "process of switching to 4WD". When I drive it, it feels like is switching to 4WD but I'm not 100% that it really does it. I thought, if the back wheels would be up in the air the front wheels should pull the car, so I lifted the rear wheels off the ground, put the car in drive... and the car didn't move. I then tried to lock the center (4LLC) and it still didn't move.

Does anyone know what this could be? A friend of mine told me that the issue might be with the transfer case. Is this an expensive fix?

Last edited by poli; 08-22-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by poli
A friend of mine told me that the issue might be with the transfer case. Is this an expensive fix?
depending whats wrong: yes.

Id start with the easier $hit. Wheel hubs. Like, do you have manual locking ones.

Also is it a button you push for 4x4 or do you have a lever?
If its button, its electrical faggotry, car may need to be rolling (slowly) to engage front hubs.

Go find a gravel yard and do skids. If the *** goes out, it aint in 4x, if the whole wagon sledges, it is.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Akzle
Also is it a button you push for 4x4 or do you have a lever?
I have a lever.

Originally Posted by Akzle
Go find a gravel yard and do skids. If the *** goes out, it aint in 4x, if the whole wagon sledges, it is.
I took to a place where I had the left wheels on pavement and the right wheels on gravel, switched to 4x4 and hit the gas. The right front wheel didn't spin while the right back did. I'll try to find a place here in the Bay Area where I can skid it.

I called couple of dealers and they told me that most likely either the vacuum line solenoids or the relay switches are broken. They didn't think it's a mechanical issue - which I'm mostly afraid of because of high $$$$ to fix.

Old 08-22-2013, 04:30 PM

if you have a lever it should engage the t/fer case straight away. you may still need to manually lock hubs.. but i thought they'd have come up with a better idea by 2003.

Old 08-22-2013, 05:36 PM

Akzle, thank you for your feedback. I called the dealer where I purchased the car from and they said that they'll fix it at no charge. That's the best outcome - the one I was hoping for - since I really like the car, it's in very good condition and not high on mileage.

Old 08-27-2013, 11:01 PM

I've had this problem on my 2005 Montero Limited. Before they will just reset the computer and 4x4 will activate. Last one was expensive they need to replace 4 switch and the solenoid, cost me around $900 from the dealer. They advice to use 4x4 every now and then.