Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

HELP needed! Transmission leak

Old 06-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Default HELP needed! Transmission leak

Greetings! What a way to spend a nice Sunday afternoon. I just need some assistance from you guys.

The car is a 2001 Montero LTD with 120k miles. I got a transmission fluid leak (shown in picture). It only leaks when the engine is on. I haven't had any shifting problems *fingers crossed*. I moved the hose clip to check the hose for cracks, but didn't find any.

Can you guys let me know what my next steps are before I start pulling at hoses? Do I have a serious problem here?

edit: I also drained some coolant, and it seems like there's no mixing of ATF and coolant. I checked the ATF dipstick and it seems overfilled even with a cold engine. It puzzles me that it's showing full even after all this leaking. The last time I had my ATF replaced was 2 years ago at the dealership. I'm thinking that maybe there's a blockage somewhere and causing the ATF to leak.

Thanks.

Last edited by astig; 06-05-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:17 PM

update: I tried the simplest solution I could think of. I trimmed the hose about 1 cm then reconnected. The result: no leak. I looked at the tip that I trimmed off and it looks intact. I did notice some oxidation or white residue come off the hose as I pulled it away from the aluminum tube. So I cleaned up the connections. I hope this solves the problem.

Old 06-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Glad to hear that you solved your problem.

Is your ATF dip stick still reading high?
When is the last time you flushed your ATF?
This sounds like as good as a time as any to do a fluid transfer...
Flushing the system will rule out any obstructions in the lines, and is generally healthy for your trans.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Mr. Z.
Glad to hear that you solved your problem.

Is your ATF dip stick still reading high?
When is the last time you flushed your ATF?
This sounds like as good as a time as any to do a fluid transfer...
Flushing the system will rule out any obstructions in the lines, and is generally healthy for your trans.
that sounds like a good idea. yes. the dipstick is still reading high. I'm gonna check again first thing tomorrow morning

Old 06-05-2011, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by astig
yes. the dipstick is still reading high.
I would not recommend driving with the transmission fluid overfilled.

If, or when, you replace your fluid, I would recommend using OEM fluid.
This mob on the east coast has it for $8.00 a quart (and no tax).

http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co...diy_fluids.htm

Old 03-11-2013, 10:48 AM

I am having very simular problem Montero sport 2001. I took 500 mile road trip got a crack in plastic cover of radiator, replaced then started leaking transmission fluid bad when drive 30 min or longer. No leak short drive. Mecanic said put 1/2 quart low after replacing rubber hoses to transmission lines. leaks just above small cadalitic converter 6' puddle after long drive, ok around town