Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

How to change montero sport 2003 atf

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 02:35 AM
Default How to change montero sport 2003 atf

my montero looks like it’s never had a atf change it’s definantly feeling like it too, the fluids black and sometimes the car feels like it’s starting to get that torque converter shudder coming and id like to drain and fill with Mitsubishi atf to avoid any more problems til I can get a flush and fill, also the previous owner seems to of over filled it too..
would anyone know where the atf drain plug is?
How many quarts of fluid id need doing only a drain and fill and if I can access the filter without removing the transmission pan.

Old 12-03-2017, 02:42 PM

Can't assess the filter without removing the transmission pan. The procedure (at least on a full size Montero) is as follows:

1. Unplug the rubber hose going from transmission to tranny oil cooler.
2. Start the engine in Park. This will pump fluid out of tranny. Hopefully you know enough to catch the fluid
3. Stop engine within 1 minute of when fluid stops coming out (it helps to have a helper to start/stop the engine for this step, so you can watch fluid start/stop flowing without ruining back and forth. it makes less of a mess too).
4. Unscrew drain plug at the bottom of transmission and drain remaining fluid.
5. If you are doing the filter, you have to drop the pan here, replace filter, reinstall pan. Reinstall drain plug.
6. Add 6 quarts of new transmission fluid through the filler tube.
7. Start the engine (just like in step 2) to pump out remaining old fluid out of TC via the trans cooler hose.
8. Stop when fluid coming out is clean or if it stops coming out at all.
9. Reconnect oil cooler hose.
10. Refill transmission to capacity.
11. Start engine. Shift through all gears. Check fluid level (with engine running in Park). Add more if necessary.

I have a PDF of the full procedure for the full size Monty. PM me if you want me to send you a copy.

Old 03-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Default 03 Montero Sport LS tc hose

Originally Posted by HunterD
Can't assess the filter without removing the transmission pan. The procedure (at least on a full size Montero) is as follows:

1. Unplug the rubber hose going from transmission to tranny oil cooler.
2. Start the engine in Park. This will pump fluid out of tranny. Hopefully you know enough to catch the fluid
3. Stop engine within 1 minute of when fluid stops coming out (it helps to have a helper to start/stop the engine for this step, so you can watch fluid start/stop flowing without ruining back and forth. it makes less of a mess too).
4. Unscrew drain plug at the bottom of transmission and drain remaining fluid.
5. If you are doing the filter, you have to drop the pan here, replace filter, reinstall pan. Reinstall drain plug.
6. Add 6 quarts of new transmission fluid through the filler tube.
7. Start the engine (just like in step 2) to pump out remaining old fluid out of TC via the trans cooler hose.
8. Stop when fluid coming out is clean or if it stops coming out at all.
9. Reconnect oil cooler hose.
10. Refill transmission to capacity.
11. Start engine. Shift through all gears. Check fluid level (with engine running in Park). Add more if necessary.

I have a PDF of the full procedure for the full size Monty. PM me if you want me to send you a copy.
Which hose do I disconnect? There are two coming from the tc. Driver side or passenger side? (It's an american car so the driver side is on the left)

Old 03-04-2021, 12:21 AM

You need to disconnect the rubber portion of the hose going to the trans oil cooler. Page extracts from the FSM attached.

Attached Files
Old 03-04-2021, 04:57 AM

Thank you. My fluid came out black! Now it looks clean. :-)