Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

I need more power

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2007, 01:02 AM
Default I need more power

I have a 1998 Montero Sport LS 3.0 liter, I would really like to get more power from the engine. What would some of you suggest for some easy not very expensive things i can do to really pull some more power from the motor?

Old 01-20-2007, 02:31 AM
Default RE: I need more power

On road or off road power?

Low end or upper end power?

What's "not very expensive" to you? For some that's something <$50, for others <$500 and others still <$1000... you get the idea...

Old 02-05-2007, 10:35 PM

I'm thinking more for off road. Really any price, just tell me some good ways to pull some power from the motor. Also i'm looking for some new tires for the montero, any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Old 02-05-2007, 11:43 PM

Well for inexpensive upgrades, there aren't that many effective ones. Lose any excess weight in the vehicle. Running no more than 1/2 tank reduces your weight substancially for example.

Get a Snorkel. That also helps to "ram" air into your intake improving horsepower some.

Gearing is also one area where you may be able to gain some power. By getting a bigger gears (5.29:1 or 4.90:1 R&P's & 2.7:1 or 3:1 xcase gears) can give you some mechanical advantages that will translate to better performance off road especially with bigger tires but gear's aren't cheap.

There are also some very expensive supercharger/turbocharger options available from RPW.com.au or Capa.com.au in australia. I believe they have import/resale agents here in the states.

For off road use, I'd avoid any high flow filters which are highly touted by many (although most don't take their vehicles off road). They almost always allow more dirt particles through no matter how good the oil is that they use to "catch" the dirt.

For moderate performance gain, you can also consider having a properly tuned exhaust custom made. Also, unfortunately I don't know of any off the shelf exhaust kits for mitsu v6 engines used in the Montero, Montero Sport, or Mighty Max pickups.

Also take into account what RPM the HP gains are achieved. More HP at higher RPM's is great for street use but for most of us, it's pretty useless off road (unless you're one of the few fortunate ones who can race off road) or are into mud bogging your rig. Otherwise, for off road use you usually want to make more power at lower RPM's so take that into account when someone tells you they can get you more HP. Usually it's upper end HP you'll get not lower end.

Also some may consider turbo's to only provide HP gains at higher rpm's but IIRC, you can tune a turbo to get you a decent boost in power at lower RPM's so that is an option.

HTH.

Old 02-18-2007, 01:53 AM

i've got a 1997 montero sport ls 3.0L. As far as i know little you can do except get a custom made exhaust. on mine there's an inlet tube to the air fliter box that has a pointless intake silencer on it that justsnaps in, took it out got about 3HP. not much but ever bit helps and you can always put it back in.