Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero Sport Idling Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 10:41 PM
Default Montero Sport Idling Problem

I just finished installing 2 subs and an amp in my 2000 montero sport today and after listening to it after a few minutes the engine just stalls. We drove around for a bit and it kept stalling particularly when it got in the low rpms. The rpms would just drop down to zero after accelerating and immediately after starting the car. Even after disconnecting everything we did the car still has this problem. We've checked pretty much all connections we could think of and we are still stuck! Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Old 08-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Banned
Default RE: Montero Sport Idling Problem

You drained the battery or killed your alternator. Check the output from it with a volt meter. You need a power capacitor for the sound system that i am sure of

Old 08-11-2006, 02:25 PM

if you disconnected your battery, you lost your adaptive idle memory.
you will need to clean your throttle body.

Old 08-11-2006, 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

You lost the adaptive idle memory, but that has nothing to do with cleaning your throttle body. After driving around for an hour the engine should relearn how to maintain idle.

However, cleaning your throttle body is a good idea anyway.

If it will not "learn" to maintain idle, and the throttle body is clean, you may need a new ISC. But I doubt it would coincedentally go out at the same time you installed the new amp.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:07 AM

Well, I took it to the dealer since I couldn't figure it out and probably got ripped off. They said the AIC (maybe they said IAC but i'm almost positive they said AIC) motor was burned out. Do any of you know how this could've happened? I want to get it professionally installed but I'm afraid something like this may happened again.

Old 08-14-2006, 09:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Winshawn

ORIGINAL: Manybrews

You lost the adaptive idle memory, but that has nothing to do with cleaning your throttle body. After driving around for an hour the engine should relearn how to maintain idle.
Im afraid thats completely incorrect.
the "adaptive" part of the idle compensates over time for the carbon that builds up on the throttle body. As the throttle gets caked, the PCM gradually increases the idle stepper count to compensate for the loss of air from around the throttle plate.
if your throttle is completely filthy, the car probably will not idle at all when warm, and the adaptive capability can take several hours to compensate, which may never happen if the car will not stay idling.
so clean the throttle body is in fact the only way to eliminate this.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:24 PM

ORIGINAL: metalmtb

Do any of you know how this could've happened?
Lack of frequent cleaning of the throttle body.

Old 08-15-2006, 12:36 AM

that's probably it considering i've never cleaned the throttle body and i have 116,000 miles on the car...

Old 08-15-2006, 08:49 PM

ISC needs cleaning too. On my 3.0L SOHC v6, it sit's just forward of the main throttle body opening and is attached via a couple of screws. The ISC (sometimes refered to as IAC) helps control your idle. If you don't clean it regularly, it goes bad then you'll have to replace it for a few hundred a pop.

As for cleaning simply use a lint free cloth. Try to avoid letting any of the dirt fall into the butterfly valve area when cleaning the throttle body.

HTH.

Old 11-09-2021, 11:00 PM
Default 2000 montero sport 3.0l runs fine when cold but stalls when warm

I have replaced the maf sensor because it was stalling when hooked up well today after I replaced it hooked it back up and started driving ran great but as soon as the vehicle would warm up it would stall I am going to try to take the maf sensor back and get another one to see if it is faulty. Someone stole my converter off of it I’m assuming they don’t need it to run I bought it for my wife and don’t really want her to have to do the whole plugging and unplugging nonsense any help is much appreciated