Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Montero start / idle stall problem after extended accessory mode use

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 03:52 PM
Default Montero start / idle stall problem after extended accessory mode use

I have a 2003 Montero Limited with 177k miles on it. The vehicle does not have a backwards turn (counter clockwise) key ignition in it, but only moves forward (clockwise) one click to make the interior accessories work (plugs, radio, etc). The second click makes the car start. It also seems to energize the fuel pump...does it stay on the whole time when in accessory mode?

I've noticed when I put it in accessory mode for more than a few minutes (2-3), say like 10 to 30 minutes to charge cell phone or listen to the radio at low volume that it causes it stall upon startup, or at the next stop light, etc, when it comes to an idle. And sometimes will persist like this for a whole day of use, until it sits overnight!

It's not the battery. I've checked that immediately after it does it with a charger and it will be fully charged. And isn't intake air restriction, positive crank vent valve (PCV), or a dirty intake. I've checked all of these right after it's done it. The car runs great other than this and gets really good fuel mileage (420-430 miles per tank of city driving), or 17-18 mpg.

Does anyone else's Mitsubishi do this?

I'm wondering if it's feeding fuel and perhaps causing a flooding condition through leaky injectors, or maybe compacting the fuel filter when in the accessory mode. It seems to be a fuel problem. Again, it only does this when I've used the accessory mode for more than 10 minutes or so.

I don't know why car makers quit making the ignition cradle turn counter clockwise for interior power only. When turned clockwise, it makes the dash and cluster lights also turn on and I notice a quick noise from under the vehicle as if the fuel pump is also energizing. Is the pump staying on the whole time while in accessory mode, causing it to push fuel into the car's filter and injectors, I'm not sure??? Does anyone know?

Thanks!