Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Mysteries of 2004 Montero LTD

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 04:05 PM
Default Mysteries of 2004 Montero LTD

Hi all,

First post and hopefully not the last.
I have a new to me 2004 Montero LTD with fairly high mileage (215K) with some mystery details that I'd like to figure out.
I bought it from the first owner who is a mechanic, so I trust that he kept most of the routine maintenance items done in time.
So far I've changed oil and filter, brake pads and rotors, wheels (Cooper Adventurer AT), spark plugs, power steering flush, battery, and new valve seals.

I was fairly excited at the time and was buying my first car, so I wasn't super thorough looking thru the car and now I'm noticing some details that I'd like to check.
For example, the cruise control stem doesn't work, the AC blower can be jumpy (sometimes it blows fine, other times it feels like it's not blowing but the AC compressor sounds ramped up), and she vibrates a lot in D while stopped (if I idle in N she's smooth, not sure if this is normal for SUVs tho as I read in the manual that N while idling is recommended)

I took it to a mechanic after noticing that the 2 ASC lights would come on if I accelerated on an incline.
He scanned the car and gave me the following error codes, he also mentioned it was weird that the CEL and ABS lights weren't turned on and that the car was working "fine":

ABS/ASC/ASTC
No. 35 - Engine FAIL

TCL / HBB
No. 35 - Engine FAIL

SRS
No. 21 - D-AB SQ Trouble 1
No. 22 - D-AB SQ Trouble 2
No. 45 - SRS Diag. Unit

MFI
P0155 - O2 sensor (Bank 2, S1)
P0421 - Warm up TWC (Bank 1)
P0128 - Coolant thermostat
P0660 - Intake Manifold Tuning Valve
P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor
P0325 - Knock Sensor Circuit

I understand most of the motor ones, but the ABS/ASC ones are confusing to me.
I found this manual via Google with some info about error codes, but not sure if the codes from the 2008 model are applicable to 2004 (I understand the 2008 is Gen 4 and 2004 is Gen 3)
M-ASTC-ECU

The mechanic cleared the codes, and I'm thinking of driving the car for another week to see if anything lights up or changes.
I'm wondering if most of the problems are electrical or wiring in nature. For example, the air bag ones seem to be short circuits, and I googled the CEL problem which seems to be a cabling problem as well. This might also explain the lack of Cruise Control.