Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

New 2003 Montero Limited owner with a question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:30 PM
Default New 2003 Montero Limited owner with a question

Hi guys,

I just purchase a low miles 03 Montero Limited 3.8L with 120K on the clock... there's no history whether the timing belt has been done ( I assume not yet) so I wonder if there's a way to check the belt?

Old 08-15-2018, 08:46 PM

You can take off the plastic timing belt covers that are in front of the cylinder heads. This will allow you to see the condition of the belt (if its cracked, worn, etc). If you don't have a definitive confirmation on belt being replaced any time recently, plan on doing it ASAP. The recommended change interval on the timing belt is 60k. If it is original TB, you are 2x past the replacement requirement. Even if the replacement was done at some point near 60k - you are at another replacement interval. Get a Mitsubishi belt and tensioner, but have a good local shop do the job (unless you can do it yourself). This will save you significant amount of $$ vs having a dealer do the procedure.

Some people recommend replacing the water pump at the same time. I'm not in that camp. To me, if the pump is working, no overheating symptoms and no weeping of the seal - leave it alone. An old OEM pump is better and stronger than any cheap replacement you'll find. If there is anything I learned by owning a Mitsubishi it is this - replace ONLY parts that are bad (not the ones you think could use a change), and replace them with quality parts (OEM if at all possible).

Old 08-16-2018, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by HunterD
You can take off the plastic timing belt covers that are in front of the cylinder heads. This will allow you to see the condition of the belt (if its cracked, worn, etc). If you don't have a definitive confirmation on belt being replaced any time recently, plan on doing it ASAP. The recommended change interval on the timing belt is 60k. If it is original TB, you are 2x past the replacement requirement. Even if the replacement was done at some point near 60k - you are at another replacement interval. Get a Mitsubishi belt and tensioner, but have a good local shop do the job (unless you can do it yourself). This will save you significant amount of $$ vs having a dealer do the procedure.

Some people recommend replacing the water pump at the same time. I'm not in that camp. To me, if the pump is working, no overheating symptoms and no weeping of the seal - leave it alone. An old OEM pump is better and stronger than any cheap replacement you'll find. If there is anything I learned by owning a Mitsubishi it is this - replace ONLY parts that are bad (not the ones you think could use a change), and replace them with quality parts (OEM if at all possible).
Thank you, I kindda figure I'll need to change the TB ..... i will probably try to do it myself....I've been watching videos about it...looks like I can handle it....thanks for the advise