Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Second (rear) seat fold troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by steakster
Figured out the process for tilting the 2nd row seat forward for the 2002 Montero. (1) Use only the slide release on the seat back - NOT the handle lever by the seat bottom (2) Do NOT fold the seat back completely down on to the seat bottom (3) Slide/hold the release on the seat back with one hand - fold the the seat back just 20% or so - then grab underneath, behind the seat bottom with the other hand and lift. The seat should easily roll up and over.

Ha! I have the owner's manual and still couldn't figure it out. I hope this helps.
thanks it's works excelent

Old 10-29-2017, 09:53 AM

I bought an '05 Montero last week and can't get the right side 2nd row seat to fold forward. The left side works fine. I've tried tilting the seatback in several different positions--partially flat to completely flat, but the seat still won't release and fold forward, It is just stuck. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 10-30-2017, 09:55 AM

The seat tilt/roll-over never works if the seatback is completely folded down. It usually releases when the seatback is partially inclined. Also, the lever on the back of the seatback needs to be fully engaged during the roll-over for the release to function. If one side of the back seat rolls-over properly and the other side doesn't, then something is damaged. It could be a stretched cable - or an uncooperative hinge at either end of the cable.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:10 AM

Steakster,

Thanks for the reply. I messed around with it for 15 minutes and tried all variations--with the seatback all the way down (that's what worked on the left side) and then partially down (from about 10% to 100%) while pulling/not pulling on the back and/or side levers. I figure something is damaged or needs tweeking--just not sure how to proceed. On the left seat, I can see the bottom plastic is removable--but I can't get access to the bottom of the right seat since it won't tilt forward. Can't see any way to open it up from the side and don't know if I can get access to the bolts that anchor the seat to the floor (I'll explore that option later today). Anybody have any suggestion?

Thanks,
Richard

Old 10-30-2017, 12:50 PM

At this point get creative at how you fold the seat. You can try to "slam" the back into horizontal position; try to go, slow and gentle; try to go part way down, then up, then down again. Try to recline the seat back then fold it, etc. etc. etc.
Anything goes until you can fold the seat and get to the bottom of it to make adjustments/lube the cables.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM

I spent another 15 minutes today and got more aggressive--still no luck. I think I'm going to see if I can remove the seat entirely. Not sure I can reach all the bolts--but I'll bust some knuckles and see what happens.

Thanks.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:08 AM

I know this is an old thread, but it still pops up in Google searches on this topic.
The secret of folding the seat is easier to understand if you can see how it is done, so I made a video of how to do it. Search Youtube - How to fold 2nd row seats Montero, Pajero, Shogun
You won't believe how easy it is when you know how.
Cheers

Old 03-18-2021, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by tj90
I have an 03 limited with a rear seat folding issue. Its always been a problem but it seems to be getting worse. Whenever I try to fold up the 2nd seat, the seatback will fold down properly, but it will not lift in the up position. I used to be able to slam the seat down and try again and it would work, now nothing. I consulted the manual and followed the directions with no help. Ive siliconed the lever and engagement mechanism at the bottom. Is there an adjustment that I can make? The problem is on the double bench side. The single seat seems to work as its supposed to...

THanks,
TJ
I just watched a video on that and it showed pulling lever on back of seat and slowly lowering the seat and you should hear a click just before it is down and at that point you can raise the bottom of the seat. Haven’t tried it yet but will do so tomorrow.

Old 01-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Default Last resort solution

I just wanted to post a last resort solution for anyone who may be in the same situation I was in. Got my Gen 3 last year, haven’t been able to fold the rear seats all the way forward since I got it. All cables had already been pulled out of the mechanisms and were stretched and ruined beyond belief. The only way I was able to gain access to the locking mechanism was to cut a small hole in the plastic with an oscillating saw where the lock(s) are located, very bottom, rear of the seats. From there, take a long screwdriver and simply lift up on the lock and the seat will release. There’s one lock on the single seat (right side if looking from rear) and two on the double seat. If you do it right, you’ll only have small holes that won’t be very noticeable, and you’ll use those to lift the seats going forward. Or you can cut a bigger hole and mount a new piece of plastic to the seat to cover it up when not wanting to raise the seats.