Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Slow acceleration and oil gage is at two then rises when I pick up speed. Any help with this.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:41 PM
Default RE: Slow acceleration and oil gage is at two then rises when I pick up speed. Any help with this.

thats gay.......i say just ask how many hours it will take.....with the price it may be cheper to diagnose than rebuild

Old 10-12-2007, 06:08 PM
Default RE: Slow acceleration and oil gage is at two then rises when I pick up speed. Any help with this.

ORIGINAL: raycam2kx

I had my transmission flushed today and the Mitsubishi service garage told me my tranny is in fail safe mode. It stays in 3rd gear to prevent anymore damage to tranny. Does anyone know if this is a case where I would have to to rebuild or replace tranny? They told me $90 an hour to diagnose. No telling how many hours it could take.
WHAT?? There is no failsafe mode that I've ever heard of on these trannys.

Are you saying it doesn't shift into overdrive when you're driving over 40/45mph? IIRC shift points are...
1st ~ 0-15mph
2nd ~ 15-25mph
3rd - 25-35/40mph
40+ is overdrive.

The AT does have a temp sensor that triggers shifting into overdrive only when the engine is warm (checks your coolant temp). If the sensor is bad, then your tranny won't upshift because it's trying to help your engine warm up. This could be your problem.... not some failsafe mode as this mechanic is stating.

Also FWIW, and to put things in perspective, I've never seen a gen II Montero AT's thats needed a rebuild with under 200k miles. Thats based on me being involved with a club of Mitsu 4x4 off road enthusiast for +12 years. Also I moderate a Mitsu 4x4 forum on another site that probably had 50x the traffic of this site.

HTH.

BTW, was this a Mitsu dealership or a Japanese Vehicle "centric" mechanic?