Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

Speedometer stops after navigation installed..!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Default Speedometer stops after navigation installed..!

I have 2002 Montero Limited, after coming out of ratio shop for Pioneer Navigation installation the spedometer stops working and so the cruise. The installer tried disconnect the baterry for 10 minutes to reset the system.. not fixing it. In the processes of installationhe had to tap into the speed pulse sensor (VSS) of the car so I think this might burn out the fuse or something. I inspected the regular fuses of the car, no blown fuse. There must have been the special fuses somewhere protect all the car ECU's... anybody can point me to where do I look for the fuse or the module that keep the speedometer from working? I will try to find out first befor send it to the dealer.
Thanks in advance for all helps.

Old 05-09-2007, 04:20 PM
Default RE: Speedometer stops after navigation installed..!

Welcome to MF Akey.

I'd take it back to the shop and have them fix it. No one but them knows the wiring that they pulled better than them. I wouldn't think that resetting the ECU is going to fix that. They broke it, they fix it, unless you signed a waver of some sort stating that they can't help it if things break on older cars (although 2002 is not that old).
Things like that don't "just happen". The speedo stops working after start up and after an installation of a NAV setup, coincidence? No, I don't think so. Like you said, they tapped into the VSS (although, I think they tapped the wrong wire). That's great that you have a speedo on your NAV screen, but other cars have that too and their original speedos still work.
Seriously though, let them know that you're not happy with their workmanship and have them either remove it, give you a refund, and fix your vehicle or just fix the issue that they created.
How can they check to see if they did it? Have them remove the VSS signal. I don't think there are any other inputs to vehicle speed that a NAV needs, but if there is, have them remove that too and tell them to check it to see if the speedo is working again.
Audio installers are cocky and have lots of pride in their work, don't back down....trust me

Old 05-12-2007, 03:09 AM
Default RE: Speedometer stops after navigation installed..!

True silver

Old 12-24-2012, 05:55 PM

This is a common problem on the 02 LTD. If you disconnect the battery, you may have this issue.