Mitsubishi Montero & Montero Sport This sport utility vehicle offers more size than the other Mitsubishi SUVs, but manages to keep a sporty look and comfortable feel, unlike many larger SUVs.

timing belt - 97 3.5 - should I bother?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 03:31 PM
Default timing belt - 97 3.5 - should I bother?

I was going to order up all the parts (any recommendations of a supplier at great prices??) - In two weeks I have a two week plant shut down and the weather should be reasonable...

But Thursday 6:40am at about 40 mph the timing belt did break.

Besides putting a new belt on and running a compression check, is there any good way to look for bent valves?

Should I just look for another motor? The body sure isnt bad for 186k miles. And it drove pretty nice.

Thoughts or suggestions???

Steve

Old 05-02-2009, 05:12 PM

It all depends on how long you plan on keeping this truck. Personally, I would start by getting a decent, used cylinder head from the yard. Get the head milled and the valves lapped, then purchase an half kit (valve seals, head gasket, crank seal...the lot), valve guides, water pump, TB tensioner and timing belt, then take it from there. RockAuto.com are pretty decent.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Former Vendor

We are new here so I would suspect anyone throwing our name out there since most still dont know we are here. Either way, once you figure out what you need let me know. All of our parts are discounted and we usually beat everyone on price and everything is brand new oem stuff so you dont have to worry about reliability issues with aftermarket parts.

Old 05-02-2009, 06:24 PM

Russell, do you happen to ship overseas?

Old 05-03-2009, 01:02 PM

Steve:

I'm in (almost) the same situation as you. '99 Full Size Montero just hit 180K miles and I've ordered all the parts. Hope I get them in before my belt breaks but if it does, I'd guess I'd go with replacing/rebuilding the heads as long as you have good oil pressure and aren't burning too much oil. A lot less work than an engine change and you end up with the devil you know instead of an unknown different engine

That said, I guess if I could find a verifiable low mileage motor in good condition and knew I was going to keep my truck for a long time, I'd compare total cost and go for the full engine swap if it wasn't horribly expensive.

By the way, I have not had any prior experience with any of the parts discounters so I'm not promoting, just informing, but I've ordered my parts from www.mitsubishiparts.com.

Oh - do you know if your belt was the original one? If not, how many miles were on it when it broke? Just curious.

Ron

Old 05-03-2009, 03:46 PM

I neever heard back form the PO about the maintenance history that he promised. He had the Montero from around 100k, and I got it at 181k with minor coolant leak - waterpump Im sure.

Belt popped at 186k. automatic, about 40 miles per hour. Cranked it with the key a few times, but stopped to got towed and trouble shoot off the road.

I made it all from October til now keeping the coolant topped up.
Havent pulled out the belt but the end I can see when I popped one cover off looks not terribly old.

rockauto.com I've seen, and re-bookmarked.
There was a site who has the whole timing belt kit with water pump for a pretty good price but I cant seem to find it.

two more weeks and I would have got all that done.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:58 PM

Interesting about your coolant leak. I just stopped in to talk with the service manager at the local Mitsu dealer for advice on my belt. It's the 2nd one and has about 110K on it. (Book says change at 60K but in small print says 100K in CA and some other states.)

Anyway he said he's seen belts last more than 150K ---- unless they get contaminated with coolant or oil and then all bets are off.

I decided not to risk many more miles - not just on the belt but also on the water pump which is original and now 10 years old.

No experience with Rockauto. I decided to use OEM Mitsubishi parts on this job - thankfully there are a few dealers who sell at wholesale to us civilians.

Ron

Old 05-05-2009, 12:35 AM

Steve: I sent you a private message.

Ron

Old 05-05-2009, 10:30 PM
Question

I only paid 700 for the truck, plus an alternator in FEB and then 4 brandy new tires in Feb....
1300 in it now....
Could be due to have the rotors turned/replaced and a set of pads...

Right after I put plates on it we started getting the snow, so I did not get to do the belt right away.

JDM motors on ebay all seem to be DOHC form 3000GTs - not quite so usefull...

Even these possible scores and a couple days of labor ...

pair of heads
ebay item number: 370190389426

timing belt and water pump kit
ebay item number: 220407416479

valve grind set including bolts
ebay item number: 220343911963